Chapter 5.2: Hunted

The wind moved, or perhaps it was the stranger, moving even faster this time, far too quick for the Warlock's reflexes. He passed low, beneath the massive shield, far too quickly for the broadsword's scorpion tail to strike. The katana arced forward, finding a small unprotected area in the Warlock's leg. Blood spurted from the wound as the Warlock shrieked in agony.

"You just signed your death sentence, stranger! We're going to end this right now!"

The Warlock threw his now-useless sword and shield down and brought his hands together in concentration. Without warning, the swordsman with the worn armor suddenly found himself thrown a good five feet away.

The girls dispersed at this point, running in all directions, taking advantage of the commotion and glad to be alive. Mina alone stood her ground alongside Vannah. She looked at the tall girl, and saw her eyes glittering, her mouth turned up in a full smile. "You are very interesting, little one. Just when our fate is about to get meted out, we find ourselves at a different turn, our destiny altered. All this because you say 'No'. Does fate bend to your will so easily?"

Mina was confused. At this juncture, she had run the gamut of emotions, from the anguish of loss she had endured when Kari was murdered to the helplessness she had felt during what she had believed were her final moments, culminating in the sheer exhilaration at being alive that now coursed through her. On top of all that, she now had satisfaction of seeing her tormentors being persecuted themselves. A faint smile crossed her lips in spite of herself. "Indeed," she turned to Vannah and agreed. "This is a rather interesting turn of events."

The stranger ran toward both girls and grabbed both of them by the arms. "The armored knight is too strong," he shouted over the chaos. "I cannot hold my own against him. We will need to evade. Follow me."

The girls took after the stranger, following him as he made his way through the woods. Mina looked over with concern at Vannah, worried that the limping girl would not be able to keep up. She seemed able to nonetheless, the walking staff helping her hobble along quicker. The warrior seemed to know his way around, either because he was familiar with the area, or because he had superior tracking skills. He confidently led them through the trees and past several streams. They moved in the darkness without the aid of usable light, the warrior looking back occasionally to make sure that he never lost sight of either girl. Finally, they came to a clearing and he stopped. "We need to find a place to rest; we are all wound down." He looked at both girls, now completely ragged after running like mad after him. "Are you both all right?" He asked. Both girls nodded.

"My name is Mykall," the man offered. Less of a stranger, he now was; at least there was a name to attach to the man. "I wish I could tell you more, but my name is all I have. My memory is lost to me."

Mina turned to him. "My name is Mina and this is Vannah." Mina gestured in the pale girl's direction. We are grateful for your help."

--------------------------

To be continued...

Ready for some fanservice? If you haven't done so already, copy the image link on the right hand side, open a new tab or window and paste it in there (or use the link below):

http://www.landindarkness.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/talonfire-w-634x1024.jpg

The artist's rendering of Mykall is jaw-dropping and must be seen full-screen to be appreciated. But I can't take credit for it. The wonderfully talented Nuriko-kun outdid herself on that. She is one amazing lady! Head on over to her page at:

http://nuriko-kun.deviantart.com

Thanks for everyone's continued interest!

Did you like this? If you did, please don't forget to "Add to your Reading List" and to Vote and Comment! It really means a lot to me. Thank you!