XXVI. anxiety

Chapter status: Edited.

Four Days.

Henry.

"Where's Tahlia?" Anna questions as she exits her bedroom.

"Practicing I think, her sword and bow and arrow's gone," I shrug in reply, pouring steaming water into two cups.

"What are you making?" she enquires as she takes a seat on the counter.

"Hot chocolate," I state, "cinnamon?"

She shakes her head, "I tried it a few months ago, didn't like it, I don't know what you and Tahlia see in it," she scrunches her face in disgust.

I let out a small chuckle as I slide the cup towards her, I sprinkle cinnamon on the top of mine before blowing lightly to cool it down ever so slightly and taking a sip.

"It tastes good, that's what we see in it," I say and she rolls her eyes.

"Henry, do you think Tahlia's hurting?" she asks worriedly.

I place my cocoa back onto the counter.

"Yeah, I think she is," I admit softly.

"I feel horrible. I'm not even the reason she's hurting and I still feel guilty," Anna groans.

"She's going to be okay, you know that, right?" I ask.

Anna just shakes her head, "she's not, even if she does escape-"

"When" I state sharply, but she ignores me.

"She's going to be scared and have nightmares and she's going to be terrified. Do you know what it's like to see her like that? It's horrible!" she shouts.

"Anna, listen to me, she's brave, she's going to get through this and live life normally again. You need to trust me, I've been through this shit my whole life and I'm fine. So please, just believe in her for once!" I snap, not being able to stop myself as the words tumble out of my mouth. "Why don't you just go hang out with your boyfriend? I'm going to help Tahlia train," I say as I grab my sword and my black coat before heading out of the door.

I don't grab my keys or my phone; I just walk out of the door, down the street and towards the forest. I can hear Tahlia quickly shooting arrows from a few metres away. I don't step out from behind the bush as she practices; she's extremely good and definitely determined to master the skill. She grabs the last arrow out of the satchel and shoots it straight into her target.

I take a quick look at the target and my eyes widen slightly, all the arrows were in a P shape. She's going after blood; nothing's going to stop her. I step out from the bushes clapping and she looks at me, her face red and lightly covered in sweat.

"You're getting better and better," I compliment, and she smiles.

"Thanks," she replies breathlessly before picking up a bottle of water and taking a large gulp.

"Why are you so red?" I then ask and she puts the drink bottle back on the ground.

"It's boiling," she pants.

"Are you serious, it's freezing," I argue, shivering slightly.

"What?" she frowns.

"It's cold, I don't know why you're so hot," I state.

"Thanks", she winks and I roll my eyes.

"Whatever, it's probably because you're practicing so much," I shrug. "Now" I start, lifting up my sword, "wanna practice?" I ask, looking at her challengingly.