-16-

Destiny curled up when she got into the car, scooting as far back in the seat as she could and then folding her knees up in front of her. They drive with the radio playing softly, some popular-music station that Sam knows Dean can't usually stand but that seems to put Destiny at ease. Sam saw in the rearview mirror that she relaxed just a fraction when that royals song started playing, so he let it go.

It started raining during the rescue, and it continues steadily now, the windshield wipers of Cas's car sweeping through at regular, rhythmic intervals.

Sam doesn't want to know what all Dean went through during those hours he was tied up. The days, really, in his dream world. It's not his place, and he doesn't want to make Dean re-live it.

But judging by how often Dean keeps looking at Cas, Sam's got an idea anyway.

He doesn't say this. Instead, he takes his eyes off the road to check on his tired-looking brother and clears his throat. "Dean. I'm wondering here, um... You've been in a djinn-caused dream twice before this." Dean nods absently, his gaze flicking back to the rearview mirror for a second. "How did you not figure it out?"

Dean rests his head against the window, aimlessly watching the droplets trickle down outside the glass. "This one was tricky," he admits, obviously irritated at being fooled again. "You were never in danger, and that threw me off."

Sam stops at a light. "Then wh—"

"It was Cas," Dean says, not elaborating any further than that. "You were fine. If it had been both of you, I'm sure I'd've figured it out right off the bat."

When Sam next looks back at the mirror, he sees Cas and Dean have locked eyes again. Something unspoken is passing between them, and Sam sure as hell doesn't want to call attention to it, so he quickly glances away.

There's an uncomfortable silence. Dean finally breaks it by looking back at Destiny. "Hey, how are you? Doing okay there?"

"Me? I'm fine," Destiny says softly. Sam checks on her; she's leaning against the door of the car, her knees still pointed up to the roof of the car. "I just wanna get home," she mumbles, exhausted. "I miss Spencer."

"We'll get you home safe," Sam reassures her.

The next silence is less loaded, but Sam is still a bit impatient to get out of this crowded car with its fraught silences and Dean and Cas's eye thing. If those two will finally get over themselves, it will be amazing and Sam is happy for them both, but the car is just too small right now.

The drive to the Bunker passes without music after they drop Destiny off at her boyfriend's. The guy is overwhelmingly relieved to see her and thanks them all over and over for finding her, and after a while it gets embarrassing, so the three of them wish the happy couple luck and head back home.

Once they are home, however, Sam says nothing when Cas and Dean sit a tad closer than they ever had before. And he doesn't say that he heard a very distinct smack of two pairs of lips separating just before starting down the basement stairs at the house. And he politely turns his head the other way when he thinks he sees Cas reach for his brother's hand beneath the table.

"I'm really glad you're back, Dean," he says instead, taking a long drink of beer. "But promise me one thing next time?"

"Yeah." Dean looks over expectantly.

"If you're gonna take out two things on the same hunt, lemme know?" Sam suggests. "You know. In case your dumbass gets caught again. So we save time searching." Castiel bites his lip to keep from grinning.

Dean nods. "Fair enough." He grabs another piece of pizza and takes a huge bite.

"All right, well, I'm exhausted," Sam announces, and shoves back from the table, stretching. He picks up his plate and empty bottle of beer. "Good night?"

There's a muffled oooo eyyyyeee behind him that's probably Dean talking with his mouth full, so Sam rolls his eyes. "By the way, I know about you and Cas," he says without looking back, and then smirks at the coughing and choking sounds before Cas starts slapping at Dean's back.

"Bitch," Dean coughs when he's able to speak again.

"Aren't we a little old for that, jerk?" Sam volleys back, turning back at the door. He grins. "Night, you two."

"Good night, Sam," Cas says, while Dean gives a sarcastic little twinkle-princess wave of his fingers.

Notes:

i know the bitch/jerk thing is suuuuuuuuper outdated at this point but i couldn't help it don't look at me -_-