-9-

Notes:

Takes place during that little moment in 9x09 when Cas plays FBI agent.

---------------------------------------------

"One of your guys is here already," the cop nodded. Dean and Sam frowned at each other in minor confusion and walked into the roadhouse.

There was only one other FBI agent, and he was talking to a cop. Cas. Of course it was him. Dean mentally rolled his eyes as they walked up. Cas excused himself and looked at them expectantly as the police officer walked away.

"Agent," Sam greeted him cheerfully.

Cas nodded, a little too eager to be in on things. "Agent."

Dean was not so impressed. "Cas, what the hell are you doing?"

"Excuse me?" Cas frowned.

"What are you doing here?"

Cas raised an eyebrow. "My job. What are you talking about?"

"Okay, we're—" Dean glanced over to Sam for help, but Sam—Sam had his professional appearance on, all cracks in the façade sealed away like they didn't know this "stranger" with too-blue eyes and a nearly copyrightable squint. Not an ounce of recognition was on his brother's face. "Uh—Agent?"

Sam looked over. "Yeah?"

Dean already had a feeling, but he had to ask anyway. "Don't we know him? Cas?"

"...My name is Agent Novak. Uh, Jimmy," Cas – not Cas? – said, watching Dean strangely. "I've never seen either of you before."

"You all right?" Sam asked Dean, a bit of worry now evident in his gaze.

"Yeah. Yeah," Dean nodded, running a hand over the back of his neck and trying to sound casual. "Uh—You look like someone I know. Sorry about that."

C—Jimmy still seemed confused, but let the subject die. "No problem," he shrugged, and began to discuss the case with them.

Dean could barely concentrate. All he could think about was how although he was clueing in each time now, he was nevertheless fooled for a while.

He remembered now, waking up in bed with Cas, fucking married to the guy, and realizing that it had been a manifestation of his own subconscious.

But he'd woken up from that. He'd woken up all mopey and miserable like a goddamn teenager, and then...

Dean frowned, missing every word of the conversation between Sam and Jimmy. What had happened? He was... He was suddenly here. Where was here?

What kind of spell was this? And how the hell was he going to break out of it when he wasn't even sure what it was yet?