Back At Work

Laura walked into the Watts Research section of the building on Friday morning a little after 8am. Carol greeted her with her usual smile. There was a big bouquet of flowers sitting there. “Hello Laura, you and Micheal have a 9:00 conference call with Dr. Stevenson.” Carol said.

“Is Micheal in?” Laura interrupted.

“Yes, he has already been working on the project. You have a 2:00pm meeting with a company that might purchase the product. Here are the particulars.”

Laura started walking back to her office when Carol stopped her. “I almost forgot, these flowers are for you. A Greg Perry delivered them personally.” Carol said with a big mischievous grin on her face.

Laura smothered any outward indications, but inside she was very excited. She took the flowers and said, “Thanks Carol.”

“So who is this Greg Perry?” Carol asked.

“Get back to work Carol.” Laura said while smiling.

There were two ways to get to her office. The short way was right by Micheal’s cube. The long way was about twice as long, but it would allow her to postpone talking to Micheal just a little bit longer. She took the long way and went into her office. The long was only about 40 seconds longer so she took it.

She got to her office and put the flowers on her desk and booted up her laptop. There was only about 40 minutes until Laura and Micheal’s conference call would take place so even though she took the long way to her office,she still needed to talk to Micheal. She thought, “I am acting like I am in high school.” She decided that she needed to pull it together.

By that time her computer had booted up so she punched into her Internet messenger a message to Micheal, “Hey Micheal, please come in, let’s prepare for our meeting with Dr. Stevenson.”

Micheal responded, “I’m on my way.”

Laura was thinking about how she was going to work through the awkwardness that most certainly would occur when they were together. When Laura heard a knock.

“Come in.” Laura said.

Micheal walked in in his business suit looking sharp from head to toe.

“The reason why I called you in…” Laura started.

“Yes, we need to prepare for our meeting with Dr. Stevens.” Micheal interrupted.

Laura thought that they always seemed to finish each other’s sentences like that. She smiled. And said, “Exactly.”

“OK, we have a meeting this afternoon do you know anything about them? Carol says that you have been working hard.”

“Don’t I always?” Micheal said with a smile.

“Well…Yes…” Laura answered surprised at the banter that Micheal was still willing to show. She feared that he might be still attempting to pursue the relationship, but she would deal with that later.

“We have a meeting with a company that wants to get in on the project. It is our job to sell the project as well as we can. That will not be hard in that we have just gone through the project over and over.” Micheal said, when he finally noticed the flowers on the desk. “Ahh a new admirer I see.” Micheal said while closing the door.

“Micheal…” Laura began to say.

“We need to talk.” Micheal said. “Now let’s be clear, I don’t go around screwing women for fun, I want a relationship and ultimately to find the one.”

“Micheal…I told you…”

“No let me finish…I guess you were just looking for a booty call. I get that. And it was nice. I just thought that our relationship was more than using each other for sexual gratification.”

Laura frowned, “No…no…it wasn’t just that.”

“It was exactly that. But I won’t bring it up again. We have a good working relationship, and I hope it can continue.”

“Of Course” Laura said.

“I hope you find what you are looking for, because I’m a good guy and you know that…”

“We just let things get out of hand. But don’t be mad.” Laura said almost apologetically.

“I ain’t mad, I’m just glad that I didn’t waste any more of my time in a dead end situation.”

“No I like you, I just couldn’t…”

“We don’t have to lie to each other.” Micheal said.

“Well then, is that all?” Laura said flippantly. She didn’t mean to sound so harsh, but she really didn’t know how to handle the conversation.

“Yes, Laura, like I said, I will not bring it up again.” Micheal said as he opened the door and walked out of it.

A tinge of guilt swept over Laura. But then something else hit her. It was the beginnings of regret. Because she realized that even though she didn’t want to tell herself, she was attracted to Micheal in more ways than physical.

A wave of different emotions came over her as one tear came down her left eye. She thought about how Micheal was right, he was a good guy. And not only that, he and her had a closeness and business relationship that others remarked was very effective. Laura wondered if that business relationship was the relationship that she was meant to have. Was Micheal her soul-mate and did she just toss away her best chance at happiness?

The thoughts began to torture her when she put them out of her mind and looked at the flowers and attempted to think about Greg. A man that she knew she didn’t really know, but could only hope.

A knock came to the door. And Laura attempted to get herself back together. She sheepishly said, “come in.”

It was Micheal. He walked in and looked taken aback at Laura. He asked, “Are you all right, do you need water or something.” He seemed very concerned. “I’m going to get you some water.” He began to walk out.

“No…no…I’m alright.” Laura said while bringing herself together. “Please tell me what you need to tell me.”

“I hate to ask you this, but I can’t think of anyone else to ask and you always have come through in the past.”

“Go ahead please ask.” Laura was happy that Micheal didn’t show any bitterness or anger towards her.

“I guess I could take a cab, but I need a ride today, my car is acting up again and Imani is not talking to me since our breakup. I have to get some things out of the apartment and go into one of those corporate short term suites till I find somewhere to live.”

Laura smiled, “No cab for you, we buds right? Right after work, I will take you home…”