Chapter 27

"Lindsay" she answered the phone on the first ring, catching it just before she started to pull away from the curb.

"Erin, where are you?" Hank asked her, his usual gruff tone seemed to have gone up a notch.

The last thing she felt like dealing with was Hank's bullshit when it came to her and Jay. She loved that man like a father, but this, the way he had been acting about her relationship with Jay was over the top.

She sucked her teeth, "on the way to the gym" she had spent the night at Jay's a little celebration of sorts that Harper Ruzek was home safe and sound.

"Is Halstead with you?"

"Really Hank? Not this shit again" she snapped, about to end the call with him.

"Listen to me, damn it!" Hank yelled, he may not be her biological father, but damn if she wasn't just like him "you need to get Jay, and meet me at this address. It's important Erin, he's going to need you"

This alarmed her, "Hank, what's going on?" She undid her seatbelt and was making her way up the stairs to Jay's apartment.

"Just get here" Hank ended the call and went back to the body.

"So, you're telling me you saw nothing?" He asked Trevor Sampson, the guy was massive, his eyes bloodshot from crying.

"Nothing" he sat beside Tyler's body, "I didn't even hear the shot, I know enough from my time in the sandbox, that this was a professional" he wiped his eyes with his sleeve. "Man, he was turning his life around too, I know he made some mistakes huge ones" he stopped talking unable to formulate his thoughts any longer.

"Come on, why don't we go inside" Hank said placing his hand on the younger man's shoulder, "get you cleaned up"

Trevor didn't budge, "I'm not leaving him alone, we don't leave a man alone" his hand holding on to Tyler's exposed hand "shit, I had to leave too many behind in the sand. I'm not leaving him"

Hank thought of his own son Justin, currently deployed to Iraq, "okay, we can stay out here, the coroner will be here shortly"

Jay was in the shower when he heard the bathroom door open, "who is it?" He yelled out almost laughing to himself as if an intruder would identify themselves.

"It's me" Erin said as she quickly pulled the curtain open, water splashing her and the floor "we gotta go"

"You don't want to join me, you're already wet, you know" his eyebrow wiggling.

Erin reached in and turned the water off, avoiding the spray as much as she could. She handed Jay a towel, "get dressed, we need to go. I just hung up with Hank we need to meet with him"

Jay pulled his jeans on "I'm not sure I want to go. I don't think it's safe" he smirked, "is he ever going to get over us?"

"He said it isn't about us, just that we needed to go this address" she handed the slip of paper to him "and that you needed to come too"

Jay sat on the edge of his bed, still unmade from last night "this is where, Jack Tyler is living. He didn't say anything else, are you sure?"

Erin lied "nothing, just get dressed" she didn't dare tell him that Hank said Jay would need her.

They pulled up to the house at the same time as the coroner, and Erin knew why Hank had summoned them, she glanced out the corner of her eye, Jay's face had gone a strange shade of gray.

As they walked she grabbed his hand, "Oh no" Jay said when he saw Trevor sitting beside Tyler's body.

Jay took off in a sprint, kneeling beside Tyler he lifted the black fabric off his friend and cradled his body in his lap.