Chapter 4

"Why do these fools insist on running?" Jay asked as he cuffed the suspect, "they think that they'll get away or something" he said as he wiped the sweat from his brow "you good, Ruzek?"

Adam wiped his mouth "just a little blood, I'm fine" the suspect having sucker punched him, "lets get these guys back to the district"

They left the guys in booking and went upstairs, "thanks to those pricks I can pass on my run tonight" Jay joked, he noticed Adam's shift in demeanor, "why do you look like your puppy just died"

Adam sat at the desk, his head in his hands, "I'm just on edge with Phil being released, I know he's gonna be sniffing around Kim and Anthony" he checked his text messages, "I know I can't keep Kim from seeing him, but I really don't want him around Anthony"

"Kim should get a say in it, no?"

Adam sighed, "I can't risk it, I hate that Kim has been visiting him. I can't stop her though, he's got a target on his back. I don't want my family anywhere near him"

"Alright, let's call it a night, good job on the bust Halstead and Ruzek" Voight said as he went in his office.

Adam jumped up and followed him "can I talk to you?"

"Yea, what's up?" He asked Adam, who closed the door behind them.

Adam sat in the chair, "do you know when Phil was released boss?"

"This morning, why?"

He leaned back in the chair, "Kim hasn't mentioned anything at all, I'm worried about him being out"

Hank took a sip from the bottle of water, "we aren't letting Scampanelli get close to your family again, Adam. You have my word on that"

Adam stood to leave "thanks boss"

Adam checked in on Anthony when he arrived home, they hadn't been in the new house long, it was just a few blocks from his dad and Amy's house.

He sat in Anthony's room for a few minutes, he knew he needed to talk to Kim about Phil and her plans but he knew it would end in an argument. He hoped she would be sleeping, and he could put it off for another day.

As he made his way to their bedroom, he saw the soft glow of the light and cursed under his breath.

"Adam, hey" Kim said as she looked up from the book she was reading, noticing the bruise forming near his mouth "what happened to your face?"

Adam checked it in the mirror, "some prick sucker punched me, it's nothing. I'm fine"
He undressed pulling on a pair of basketball shorts and getting in the bed, laying with his back to Kim.

"You sure you're okay?" He was being cold to her and she wasn't sure why, "Adam?"

"It's fine, I'm just exhausted" he told her as he switched off the lamp beside on the table on his side of the bed, and closed his eyes.

Kim brought her hand to his chest, "I'm tired" he told her as he moved her hand away, "it's been a shit day"

"Alright" Kim said softly, trying not to sound hurt, she turned off the lamp on her side of the bed and tried to sleep.

The butterflies in her stomach grew to a fever pitch when the pilot announced that they would begin the final descent into Chicago.

The pilot announcing that the weather was supposed to be beautiful and that it was just after sun rise.

She pulled the last picture she had of Adam out, he was a little boy and she wondered what he looked like now, and the kind of man he had grown in to. She kept in contact with Bob, mostly through emails, but always under the notion that Bob would not tell Adam.

When he was in the car accident, Bob had told her and she wanted to see him but Bob thought it best she stayed away. That Adam had enough to deal with and the added stress of dealing with her wasn't good for him.

Bob had failed to mention the baby, she figured it was because if she knew about the baby she would come home.

She just hoped Adam would welcome her.