Chapter 18

"It's been three weeks Amy, and I haven't heard a word" Bob said, he knew he would lose Adam once he knew the truth. He hadn't slept a full night in three weeks, he felt like his whole world had been destroyed. Not only did he lose a son, but he lost a daughter in law and grandson as well, he felt horrible for Amy.

"I'm so sorry Amy, I know how much Anthony means to you" he told her, "I can leave and go stay at a hotel if you want"

Amy grabbed his hand "Bob, that's not necessary. Adam's a good man, he's going to come around"

He sighed, "it's Anthony's birthday party tomorrow, I'm sorry you are going to miss it" he told her, he didn't have to courage to show up at the party. He wouldn't be able to handle Adam turning him away.

"I can call Kim, and talk to her if you want" Amy offered.

Bob shook his head emphatically, "no, don't do that" he stood "we can just mail Anthony his gift, or I will drop it off at the 21st"

Kim could hear Adam and Anthony laughing in the living room, she was thankful Adam had the day off. The last few days she had felt awful her stomach constantly upset, and had been unable to sleep much because of it last night.

Adam had offered to keep Anthony busy so she could rest, even bringing her crackers and ginger ale.

Adam appeared in the doorway, "will you be okay if I take Anthony out for a little while?"

"Yea, I'll be fine" she told him, though she felt awful her stomach queasy "I'm gonna try to go back to sleep"

Adam entered the room and leaned down to kiss her, "Adam, don't I want you getting sick too" she said as he tried to kiss her.

"Stop" he told her and kissed her forehead "I love you"

"Where are you going?"

"My dad's, I think it's time he and I talk" Adam smiled "call me if you need me"

Amy heard the car door close and looked out the window, her heart leaping out of her chest when she saw Adam and Anthony coming up the walk way "Bob, Adam's here and he brought Anthony"

Bob came running from the back room "are you serious?"

Adam opened the door, "I felt it was time, dad" he wasn't thrilled with what he had learned but he knew it wasn't worth throwing away his relationship with his dad over it "Amy, can you keep Anthony for a bit?" Adam asked her, Anthony almost jumping into Amy's arms.

"Of course Adam, is Kim okay?"

"She has a stomach bug, she's home sleeping" Adam said as he handed Anthony over "can we go outside dad?"

"Anywhere you want son, is fine" Bob told him, and left for the back yard.

Adam was anxious and started talking right away "so, I met with my mother she had a lot to say dad" he fiddled with his wedding ring "told me that you had a girl on the side and spent most of your time with her and her kid"

Bob knew it was just a matter of time before Linda told Adam "Son, I wasn't a good man back then, and that's being nice. I was an unhappy piece of shit to be perfectly honest with you. If I was home I was usually drunk off my ass, it's not an excuse it's just the truth"

"It's going to take some time dad, it's a lot to process. It doesn't change the fact that when my mother skipped town you stepped up and you changed, I love you for that" Adam said placing his hand on Bob's shoulder.

Bob felt like a weight had been lifted off his shoulders, "Adam, I will never forgive myself for what happened with your brother, I vowed that I would do better by you"