Mermaid Part 2

"Natsu where are you and Happy off to?" Erza's stern voice made him jump. He could feel his new monkey companion grip his hair tightly. At first the crew had some questions when Natsu showed up with a blue monkey sitting on his head, but they all accepted it pretty soon.

He mumbled his answer.

"..The beach."

"Again?" Gray asked. "You were just there."

"So?" He shouted, glaring at the man.

"So? So!?" Gray snapped. "We're just barely staying alive and we haven't seen ANY sign of a way back home." He stepped forward, shoving Natsu's shoulder. "And maybe, if you actually helped out around here instead of going down go the god damn beach to work on your tan we would have-"

"Gray-sama." Juvia had walked up, and attached herself to his arm. He sighed and ran a hand through his far longer hair.

Natsu didn't say a word, but he turned and walked down to the beach.

This had become part of his day. Come down to the beach, wait, then go back dissapointed.

They had been trapped here for so damn long, unable to make a raft big enough and strong enough for their whole crew.

They were right. He was a terrible captain. But all the uncertainty Lucy left him with lead to curiosity. Every day he would find himself wading further and further into the water, diving below it's surface for longer and longer.

Lucy had him in a trace. Natsu sighed. Was she ever going to come back?

The pirate captain shook his head quickly. He can be thinking like that! She will come back. The longer he spends from her the more intrigued he's become.

"Aye!" Happy's urgent 'aye' ripped Natsu from his thoughts.

"What?" He watched as the monkey jumped of his shoulder and ran towards the shore, jumping and pointing madly at the waves. "What is it Happy?"

"Aye!!" Suddenly Natsu's hair was being grabbed by one swift moving monkey and turned sharpy to the left, through the corner of his eyes he caught a glimps of pink.

"Wait..' He mumbled. "Was that.." He stopped. It happened again! A flash of blond and pink making its way towards him.

It couldn't be.

T-this had to be a dream.

But it seemed so real! Lucy! Was she really here!?

Natsu ran into the water, knee deep, Happy practically jumping from shoulder to shoulder in exitment.

"Lucy!" He called out. "Lucy!!" The pink blur stopped and a blond head popped out of the the water. Natsu couldn't quite tell but he was pretty sure that the next time the head of blond hair resurfaced it was that much closer.

"Natsu!" A feminine voice shouted, but it wasn't Lucys voice. "You have been out here all day, get back to the camp everyone wants to talk with you." He turned to see Levy standing at the tree line, Gajeel standing beside her with a scowl.

"Get over here Salamander."

Natsu looked back at the waves, eyes frantically searching for Lucy. "N-no I can't! Shes-"

"Erza sent us."

Natsu bit his lip. This could be his one chance to see Lucy again. He had so many questions for her....but...Erza. He shuddered.

"I-" he took a deep breath. "I can't." He shook his head, eyeing the pair's shocked faces. "I have to see- OOF!" He doubled over as Gajeel punched him in the stomach. "Bastard!"