Chapter Twenty-Nine - More Family Secrets

Start from the beginning

"Just do me a favor and wait until I'm not fucking her before you try to make a move, and even then, don't do it," Arturo said.

"If you don't care, then why are you getting jealous?" Orlando asked.

"Why do I need a reason?" Arturo shot back. "I've been jealous when I've been with women I didn't even like. Fuck off."

"We're all tired," Silvio said, sitting up and stretching his back until Arturo heard a popping noise. "Let's just work on this. I want to get this over with."

Arturo knew that it would never be done and over with. So long as Vincenzio was alive, he was going to be stirring up shit while in prison, trying to get out.

There were too many people who thought he was innocent, who thought that Arturo had lied on the stand just to send him away and take the company for him and his brothers.

Thankfully, this was one of those times when the law's stubborn refusal to reopen cases was working well in Arturo's favor. Which did not mean he didn't have to work his ass off to find ways of discrediting everything the old man was saying from prison.

It was the fact that they were all so tired that made them stop arguing so easily. Arturo felt that he was close, though. Just a hundred or so more calls to his lawyers, the DA, and the people whose palms he'd greased on the inside of that prison, and he'd have a better idea of what was going on.

Doing all of this while in his joggers was a big help.

***

Arturo didn't come back for ten days. When he did come back, Isla didn't even know he'd shown up for several hours.

She hadn't even known he'd walked into the mansion until Martina had said as much with a smile on her face while she poured Isla a mango juice to go with her breakfast.

"He's back?"

Martina nodded. "Late last night. Or early this morning, I suppose. Mr Calendri and his brothers walked through the doors and went to their respective rooms. We've been given strict instructions not to disturb them. I hope you don't mind waiting a little longer for Mr Calendri's company. He's usually a better host than this."

"I don't think his guests have a habit of staying for several weeks," Isla said, and then smiled at the older woman. "Besides, you make things fun here, too."

Martina's cheeks actually darkened a little, her expression softening ever so slightly. Maybe she just wasn't used to receiving compliments like that.

Isla didn't want to embarrass the woman, so she continued on. "Besides, now that he's back, I might be able to finally give my dad a date for the dinner I'm supposed to have with him. If Arturo is finished with...what he was working on."

It felt strange to actually call it what it was, and Isla couldn't do it. The fact that Arturo was back here probably meant that he felt things were safe enough for him to stop working anyway, but she wanted to be sure.

Martina nodded, a smile on her face that could only be described as proud, the sort of smile a mother would reserve for her children. "Mr Calendri is confident in his father's place in the world. These things do tend to happen from time to time, however, and they require a lot of Arturo's attention, as well as the attention of his brothers."

"Oh. What about Sebastian?" Isla had noticed that he certainly hadn't been in that office during any of those times when Isla had gone to drop off their food.

"Ah, Sebastian is...how shall I say...not difficult, but he does not always think of himself as Arturo's brother, or even a Celendri man."

"Because he was raised by different people?"