I. Desolation

Entry #1

We've begun yet another STEM experiment with a total of seven individual patients. We managed to acquire more stable subjects this time rather than the usual disabled patients from the hospital. Hoping for more frugal results. Hopefully this won't end up like the other failed attempts. I'm beginning to tire of the amount of bodies..

- Marcelo Jimenez

The air was stagnant and quiet as Claire made her way down the street. Save for the constant click clop of her high heeled boots, it would be safe to say that it was silent as the grave. The constant ringing in her ears was obvious evidence of this. It was bloody awful to say in the least. And.. Unusual.

Krimson City was widely populated and, even in the back roads such as the one she travelled upon, you could at least hear the distant honks and yells from beyond or see a passing pedestrian or car. But today? Nothing.

Not that she hated silence. As a matter of fact she loved it. But the peculiarity of the matter was beginning to get to her. As well as the before mentioned pounding in her eardrums.

She hugged her arms closer to her chest as a chill ran down her spine. Funny.. There was not the slightest breeze in the late summer yet she felt chilled to the bone. What was going on?

Before she could notice any more mysterious anomalies, she spotted movement out of the corner of her eye. On the edge of an alleyway lurked a burly looking man. With his back facing her, it was impossible to make out who it was, though from the looks of his baggy, torn clothing, and the fact that he was currently rummaging through a trashcan, he must have been a tramp. While most would have sadly ignored the unlucky fellow, her heart did a mini-flip from the reassurance that she was not alone.

Boots clacked louder as she hurried her steps. "E-Excuse me! Sir!" She called out with a grin. He didn't respond. But she could have sworn she'd heard him grunt. Or was that a growl?

"Sir? Can you help me? You see, I hav-"

A choked gasp escaped her as a hand gripped her neck.

The 'man' had whirled around in a flash and now held her life in his meaty hands. Her throat constricted, screaming was impossible, but even if she could, she wouldn't have the strength after what she'd just seen.

White, souless eyes bore into her very core, robbing her of color as well as hope. Brain was exposed at the center of the creatures rotted forehead. Its skin was a rotted black/green hue. Stringy black hair matted with blood and sweat was seen in patches on its marred skull. Its teeth bared at her, yellow and stained with blood and gore. It snarled at her, sending spittle and foul vapors at her face. She couldn't even struggle in its iron grip. Only one thought repeated in her panicked mind.

'I'm going to die.'

//Hi there! If you reading this then thanks so much for checking out my fanfic!! *internet hugs* I know it's a little short, but I promise the chapters get longer from here. If you liked it please consider giving it a vote and/or a comment. It means a lot! And to those who have done so already, thank you!! Have a wonderful day and see you in the next chapter!\\