18. The engagement party

Start from the beginning

"Reputation you mean."

"Yeah according to her. She didn't take it pretty well you know. She was like "You want to call off everything and blah blah...Then she was  saying it's wedding jitters."

"Is it?"

"Ha. It's not that."

"What are you really afraid of Dave?"

"I don't know. I think it's the crowd which is going to attend this function. I am not royalty."

"Royalty?"
I laughed a bit at it bit then stopped.
"I get it you know. Don't worry that makes us two."

"C'mon you are a Marc. Even worse." He sighed.

"People never saw me as a Devon or Marc. They think I am just an orphan who got lucky and taking advantage of it."

"Bah-"

"And the people who think that is the people who are attending this function today."

He looked at me for a while opening his mouth and then closing again.
He then wanted to talk but he stopped again.

"Alright you win." He admitted.
"Anyway see you later."

"Yeah."

I entered my room to see Serena pacing back and forth looking a bit nervous.

"Hey what's wrong why are you here?"

"I just wanted to check on stuff."

I folded my hands and observed her frantic pacing. She was muttering  to herself.

"Stop it."

"Huh? What?" She jumped on her spot.

"Stop walking like that. You look crazy." I came forward to her as she kept on fidgeting.
"Is it about-"

"Yes it's Dave." She breathed.
"We had an argument yesterday night."

"About the party I know he told me."

"You met him? How's he?"

"Yeah he's fine looked a bit upset but fine."

"Okay ,okay. Okay." She sat down on the bed

"Serena you have been acting a little crazy."

"I know. I don't know. Ugh..
I have been too snappy these days."
She massaged her head.

"They are too many big people coming tonight. It's going to be too glitzy. He doesn't want to feel small. He needs your support."

"He thinks he is not good enough for this stuff. He has no idea how handsome and awesome he is."

"I think he knows that. He is too cocky about that. Don't act freaky  though. This wedding is supposed to bond not break."

"I know that. Thanks." She smiled.
" Oh yeah this is for you." She brought out a box and kept it on the bed.

"What's that?"

"The dress you will wear today."

"You and Claire." I muttered.
" You didn't have to do this. I already borrowed a dress from you."

"Shut up okay. I bought it for you."

I opened the box and removed the gown which was inside it. It had the texture of tree's bark but it was velvety and green in color. It shimmered at certain folds.
The front side was was full with no cleave as full length sleeves. I turned the dress backwards.

"Ser."

"You match it with a choker it'll look awesome. Maroon lipstick and black mascara and..."

"Ser."

"You should do as I say you will look awesome. And hold up your hair in the bun. Maybe-"

"Ser."

"What?"

"It's backless."

"Yeah I noticed that."

"Look at it. It's like there is nothing. It just ends above my butt."

"I know it looks so sexy. You need a tall person to pull this one off and I thought of you."

"Ser."

"C'mon just wear it!"

I gave her a look but she wasn't affected by it. Too excitedly she tripped out of my room.
I breathed out and looked at the expensive gown. One tear or stain then I would be done.

The whole party looked a construction site except for the fact that the yellow helmets were replaced by crafty fedoras. Although I was supposed to be attending to the guests I was practically working "backstage" with the workers.
Doan and I were continously communicating over the mini-mic given. There were little situations coming up in between such as the champagne shortage (the people were just consuming that and that only)  but they were handled perfectly well. Even while I glittered myself for this party I was still "working" just like how I did back.

As for Serena and Dave they were happy in each other. I just wondered how would they be on the wedding day. Each every person were coming and greeting and expressing themselves congratulating them. The couple were smiling and accepting them.

"Hey Doan I think we need to provide with refreshments to the couple."

"Yeah you are right. On it."

Things seemed smooth and fine. I winked at both of them and they gave me the thumbs up.

"Everything's fine Doan?"

"Yes it is. I believe you should leave the rest on me. Just go ahead and enjoy. Let me do my job."

"Alright I am taking off then."

"Okay."

I took of the mic from the choker and gave it to the waiter beside me instructing him to give it back to Doan.

Everybody was present over here. People busy talking laughing. all the ceremonies were over. The journalists were banking on this day. As the wedding drew near the reporters outside the villa's area increased  reporting about the preparations each and everyday. One of the workers who had just gone out to bring the decorations in was interviewed by a reporter. And when he came back in a very exciting manner he explained how the reporter questioned to his colleagues, the other workers.
He called it his "golden moment" to be on live tv.
The whole thing was so Royal.
I thought about how Dave had called it.

"Doan and you did pretty good."
Duncan said from behind and I turned towards him.

"Yes .Thank you."
I hadn't talked to him since 'that' day. It's not that I was avoiding him but it was naturally  happening. I guess the wedding preparations took my mind off everything. But not off Zylen. He always seemed plague my mind. Always.

"You look beautiful today Tiffany. Really beautiful."

I had put in some effort today just because of Serena. I didn't want to listen a rant from her again. Other days you could handle her but these days you could never. Some of the books say that the bride is like that at this period. Oh yes I was reading books.

I just nodded to that still looking for Zylen.

Suddenly the band started playing a music and the couples mover towards the center. Serena and Dave were already dancing while the others joined them.
I quietly moved backwards till the party was out of sight. The backyard was deserted and went through the patch of forest.
I walked until the I saw the rocky cliff again.

It was windy and I felt really cold especially at the back. My bare back was completely exposed and I was nearly chilled but I welcomed it anyway. I puffed out a little bit.
The whole sea was black and gigantic. It's waves thundering against the cliff frequently.
My hairs tendrils beat against my face because of the wind.
I walked more closer to the edge of the cliff. The wind was picking up more speed.
I heard a small sound of stone crunching which made me alert. I looked behind but I couldn't see nothing. I looked backed ahead peaking over the cliff.

"Are you really thinking to jump off?"