~Chapter 3

- 3- 

 Butterfly awakened to sunlight streaming across the room. She rubbed her temples as her head throbbed. She brought her hands up to her eyes, to protect them from the bright sun. She looked around the room and noticed that it wasn't the bedroom she shared with Lance. 

  Lance, she thought. Just thinking his name made her angry. 

  Butterfly's thought process was a bit hazy. She couldn't remember what happened after her wedding fiasco. The only thing she remembered was Lance dumping her at the altar. After that, everything was a big blur to her. 

  She instantly got out of the full-sized bed, noticing that she still had her wedding dress on. That was a relief. At least she knew that someone didn't rape her, or maybe the person did and just put her dress back on like nothing happened. Even if this person did it, she couldn't really be sure. 

  Butterfly listened to water running, while pots and pans banged around making her head pound even harder. She needed to find a way out of there fast. She didn't know where she was. For all she knew, the person in the other room could hold her hostage. 

  "Leaving so soon?" 

  Butterfly put her hands up to her chest, turned around, and backed up against the window. She saw a man with a cup of what smelled like coffee in his hands, smiling playfully at her. He had his shirt off and she couldn't help but notice his lean body. 

  "Stay back," she said. 

  Butterfly kept looking around the room, trying to find anything she could to protect herself from this perverted man. Butterfly finally noticed a bat holding up the window. She hadn't noticed it until now. She picked it up and started swinging it at him. 

  His smile instantly vanished and he quickly backed away from her. "Let me explain what's going on." 

  She kept swinging the bat towards him while moving every which way he moved. "I don't need you to explain anything to me. The facts are staring me right in the face. You raped me didn't you?" 

  He dodged around the room away from her. "What? No, I didn't rape you. I saved you from that guy last night. You should be thanking me." 

  Butterfly stopped swinging that bat at him. She looked into his bright sepia eyes, to consider if he was even telling the truth. "What guy?" 

  He walked a little closer to her, but when she raised the bat he backed off. "Listen, I'm not the bad guy here. That guy was trying to take advantage of you. I think he put something in your drink." 

  "How would you even know if he was taking advantage of me? Were you stalking me?" she asked while pointing the bat at him. 

  He chuckled and said, "I wouldn't say I was stalking you. You just intrigued me, walking into a bar with a wedding dress on. So I kept an eye on you the whole night. I wanted to come and talk to you, but you had your hands full with 'ol boy." 

  "So what you're telling me is that it was a possibility that this guy tried to rape me, but you prevented it from happening." She put both of her hands on her hips. "Do I look that gullible to you?" 

  He ran his hands across his fade and glared at her. "I'm telling you the truth. He tried to take advantage of you. You were so out of it that you didn't even know what was going on." 

  "If that's the case, why didn't you just call the police?" 

  "It's the south-side of town we're talking about here, darling. They wouldn't even have made it in enough time to prevent anything from happening to you. I wasn't even thinking about calling the police. I was just trying to get you out of harm's way."