Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

She lifted her red-rimmed eyes, and I could see they were filled with sorrow.

"I . . . I . . . ," she stuttered.

"Speak to me now, Eirian." I watched her shudder over the use of her name. "I demand you tell me what is going on. You told me Fae cannot lie, yet I seem to find myself buried in the depths of deception." My jaw twitched as I clenched my teeth.

She shook her head. "I have not lied to you," she whispered. "I just haven't shared the whole truth yet."

My heart fell with sinking dread. "Then tell me why the king speaks of me as if I am nothing but a stud to service you, instead of your husband? And what are these Blood Wraiths you speak of? Why will I be numbered with them?" I resisted the urge to grab her and shake the answers from her.

Eirian suddenly looked very tired—all her sparkle had been drawn from her. "I never expected him to speak to me of such matters. I wanted to reveal things to you myself, in my own way." She crossed the room to sit on the bed.

"Reveal what? We are bonded, yes?"

She sighed heavily. "Yes, we are, but only for these seven days. When they are over, I'll send you back to live with your people."

"What?" the word exploded out of my mouth in a ball of frustration.

"Shhh. Please, Bran, the guards will hear you."

Once again, her voice caused an erotic tremble to course through me, and I gritted my teeth against it. "Don't speak my name. I don't want any more traps. I want the truth." I held my breath, staring at her while I waited to see if she would come clean.

She sat there, silent for a few moments. "My people are at war against an enemy we can't defeat on our own. In all our existence, the Fae have always had dalliances with humans. Sadly, what you said before was true, the Fae enjoyed manipulating them with their words. Humans were like playthings to my people . . . a sport of fun so-to-speak."

I went to the window, grasping one of the stone pillars so hard that my fingers turned white. "So, is that what I am to you? A plaything?"

"No!" she blurted out, wisely remaining where she was. "I've always loved you, Br . . . I've always loved you. That's the truth. My people are in trouble though, and it's my duty to help them."

"How does being with me help them?" I asked, my mind was a muddied mess as I tried to understand what she was saying.

She clenched and unclenched her hands in a nervous gesture. "Those creatures you dreamt of—the ones attacking the Fae they are called Blood Wraiths. They were made during those centuries of human dalliances. The biting and exchanging of blood is very sensual for us, but it alters humans."

"What do you mean?" I was sure I didn't want to hear her answer, but I needed to know.

"It makes their blood run cold, something about us changes them. They begin to crave our blood, any blood really, but especially faery blood. It's something you already noticed when I gave you the drink which contained my blood. It was sweeter than anything you'd ever imagined, correct?"

"Go on," I said without acknowledging her comment.

"Midsummer's eve is the only time humans can penetrate our realm. They cannot stay any longer."

"That's not true. I'm human, and I've been here well-past Midsummer's eve," I contradicted.

She shook her head. "Time moves differently here in Faery than it does for you. We have seven days to your one. It is still Midsummer's eve in your realm—only a small amount of time has passed since you've been here. Your people still celebrate, and no one even knows you're gone."