Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

There was no bridge that extended from the canyon walls to the glowing, thin-spired castle mid river. Though the water seemed smooth from above, I could tell there was a swift undercurrent farther out. Several of the anchored boats bobbed up and down, some of them bumping together occasionally with a hollow thud as they shifted.

Eirian let go of my hand and stood on the end of the pier.

I looked around, and seeing no one, began to loosen the rope of the closest boat.

"Wait," she commanded without turning. She continued to stand still.

"What are we waiting for? I can have one of these boats loose in just a second and row us over."

"We already have one." She pointed toward the distant shore. "One of the guards is on his way."

I felt bad that someone was coming to fetch us when I could have easily taken us over. "It was no trouble to row you."

She smiled. "This is the way things are done, Bran."

I clenched my teeth and closed my eyes for a moment while I waited for the shivers that moved over my skin to pass.

"Join me." She beckoned. "Now is the time to begin your charade."

I stepped behind her, slipping my arms around her waist, and bent to kiss her throat. "I won't have to pretend, Eirian."

She shuddered, just as I hoped she would, and leaned back into my embrace, caressing my arms.

"Your highness," a voice called from the approaching boat as it came along the dock.

A tall, Fae man in a burnished shade of armor reached toward Eirian.

"Allow me," I said, helping her into the slim craft.

I followed after, standing behind her small seat, my hands on her shoulders. The guard paid me no further attention but instead turned the boat back in the direction he'd come.

Aside from the occasional "clunk" of the oars, we slipped silently through the water. As we got closer to the castle, I could see a large metal gate looming ahead of us. The silver crisscrossing slats gleamed with perfection despite the close contact with the water. It spanned the width of a large stone archway covered in trailing vines that ran up the wall and disappeared over the other side. When we were almost upon it, the gate lifted, dripping little rivulets of water as it emerged. Sprinkles rained down upon us as we slipped through, and it shut immediately behind us, hardly making a sound.

We were now in a moat, traveling in what appeared to be a perfect circle inside, channeled by a short stone wall that ran nearest the castle. This time I noticed the guards everywhere, standing by lit torches of burning faery fire, mounted on both the low inner wall of the moat, and the high walls overhead, with weapons ready at hand. We pulled up to a large, stone landing platform jutting out from the castle wall. There was a small detail of guards standing there, and what appeared to be a few maids-in-waiting. The ladies quickly rushed to the edge of the dock, carrying a robe and slippers. One of the guards leaned forward to help Eirian from the boat, and I followed up behind her.

"You are dismissed," she spoke in an authoritative voice to the women. "I have no need of your services this night."

"Milady," one spoke with a bow. "Your father requested that we prepare a special suite for your arrival. He would like you to send for him as soon as you've arrived."

She held the regal robe and slippers up to Eirian again. "Very well," Eirian replied with a sigh, allowing them to add to her wardrobe. "You may tell my father I am here now and will see him when he's ready."