A distinguished looking Fae man approached from the castle. "Milady, the king has noticed your arrival and awaits you in the prepared chamber."

Eirian nodded.

No one said anything to me, and other than a few cursory glances, paid little attention to my presence. I stepped closer to Eirian, grasping her hand. "You look divine, my love," I whispered, just loud enough for the others to hear, and I bowed to kiss her wrist.

"Welcome to Castle Naveen, Bran of Glynshire." Eirian smiled.

"I am most happy to be here with you, your highness."

"Please. I dislike all the formalities. Call me Eirian."

"With pleasure, Eirian." I couldn't help my sly smile at her maid's attempt to disguise her abrupt laughter when Eirian shivered.

She punched me. "You did that on purpose."

"Yes, I did, and that was not very well mannered." I chuckled as I rubbed my arm, amazed at how strong she was. "Don't tell me you didn't enjoy it."

She blushed, turning away to head for the castle. I hurried next to her and slipped my hand into hers, giving it a squeeze before looking over my shoulder at the guard detail that was surrounding us. The guards stopped at the door, but the ladies-in-waiting followed.

I couldn't help gazing around in awe at the vaulted ceilings, cavernous in their magnitude. The numerous stone pillars curved into pointed, elegant archways and were intricately carved to mimic the ivy-covered exterior walls. I wanted to lean in for a closer look and touch them—to study their workmanship in depth.

A soft pressure on my hand brought my attention back to Eirian and her meaningful glance reminded me I should be intrigued by her, not the castle. I would have to save my exploring for another time.

Slipping my arm about her waist, I leaned to whisper in her ear. "Your home is very lovely." I kissed her lightly on the cheek.

She nodded and smiled, turning to lead us up a giant stone staircase. "It is. I'm glad you like it. I hope you'll be pleased by the rest." She kept her voice low enough so our words were only heard between the two of us.

I hugged her closer. "So I'm about to meet your father. I'm assuming he was the fierce looking man sitting on the throne next to you at the celebration. Is there anything I need to know about him?"

"Show no fear. He expects you to be enchanted, so he will assume your actions before him are of someone who is longing for his daughter. He'll expect you to stay close to me. Don't speak unless he addresses you, and if he does, only answer his question directly. Do not elaborate. Keep your attention on me—mostly noticing what I do. If you're observing other things too much he may know that something is wrong."

"Understood. Are we going to your room then?"

She shook her head. "No. My maid said he requested a special suite prepared. It'll be in the highest tower with the best views of the city."

"That sounds nice."

"It is beautiful up there, but I warn you, you'll probably need a rest after climbing all the stairs." Her laugher tinkled in the air. "It's not a trip for the faint hearted."

"I'm up for the challenge." I released her waist, slipping my hand back into hers.

I quickly learned she wasn't joking. We climbed up three floors worth of steps before we reached the circular staircase that wound through the center of the tower.

"Which room will we be in?" Eirian asked her maids.

"The topmost, milady," came the reply from the lead maid, and I figured she must be in charge.