"They're used to get around the city. The canyon travels farther than the eye can see, and what you can't tell from here, is that there are other crevices that branch off of this one. The city is huge. It would take several days to explore every part of it."

"Does it all look like this? Or are there different classes of living?"

"The whole city proudly boasts the same fine architecture. We are creators of things of beauty. There are also tunnels chiseled through the rock, and more dwellings in there too, just as lovely as you see out here."

My mind couldn't even fathom this. "It seems like that would be depressing—living without fresh air and light."

"There are holes put in strategic places which help everything to stay well-ventilated, and faery light is used to keep things bright."

"Faery light?"

She gestured to some of the glass orbs housing the bluish light. "Nothing a little magic can't fix."

There was so much I didn't know about her and her people. I couldn't believe I was part of this place now. It would be my home too. It seemed overwhelming.

"What do you want to see first?" she asked with a smile.

"I have no idea where to even start. How about our home?"

"Our home?" She looked surprised.

"Yes." I pulled her to me. "I like to see where I'll be living—where I will spend my time ravishing my attractive wife."

"Oh," she whispered with a blush. "That would be down there then." She pointed to the castle.

"You seem hesitant. Is something wrong?"

She smiled nervously. "I've just never thought of it as our home."

"Well, now you can. Let's go there, and you can show me anything else you desire along the way. Whatever we don't see tonight, you can show me tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day . . . ."

"And the next day," she added with a grin. "I just thought you'd want to see things tonight, while there were less people around. That way you won't have to keep up pretenses."

I glanced around realizing for the first time that there were not people milling about. I hadn't noticed in my initial awe.

"Is it normal for the city to be so empty at night?" It seemed almost eerie to me in a place of this magnitude.

"On the outer walls, yes, most people tend to stay to the interior portions at night, though occasionally you may see a couple of lovers strolling out this way. They sneak to the gardens to make love under the trees." She smiled and I winked at her.

"I can't imagine why anyone would want to do that." I brushed my lips against her forehead. "So people are free to come and go as they choose?"

"For the most part. There are always guards and sentinels watching over the place. Things are well protected."

I glanced around. "Well, I certainly haven't seen any guards."

She smiled wider. "That's the whole point. Trust me, they're there and watching us right now."

I ran one hand into her hair and kissed her hotly, moving my lips over her with a familiarity that surprised even me. My other hand roamed freely over her lithe frame, exploring her slender curves. She gripped my shoulder, allowing my tender assault, and when we broke apart she was panting.

"What was that for?"

"You said I needed to keep up appearances. Just doing my job. Was I besotted enough?" I laughed.

Faery KissedOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara