Chapter 18: Spirit

Chapter 18: Spirit

II Hera II

Yato knelt down on both of his knees, lunging the ground with the mini shovel he got from the gardening store. I watched him dig up dirt with my mouth slightly parted open. He looked over to me and pursed his lips, holding back a laugh. "You're drooling."

My eyes widened and I quickly wiped it away with my sleeve, "Shut up!" He couldn't contain it and began to chuckle, continuing to dig up the dirt. I glared at him, grabbing some of the pile of dirt next to him and threw it at him. He groaned, "Hera!" I smiled, shrugging. "You deserved it."

"I'm planting a wondrous seed for you and this is how you treat me?" he mumbled sarcastically.

I scoffed, "You owe me!"

"I saved you!" 

Crossing my arms, I said, "No you didn't. Rather, I saved you."

He pouted, and looked at the ground, scooping more dirt. 

"It's done!" 

My eyes glistened. I quickly sat down next to him and unclenched my hands, examining the seed. "Let's plant it."

He nodded and watched me slowly put the seed into ground. I glanced at an ant and crushed it with my hands. Yato looked at me as if I was a monster, "You murderer!"

"You're the one to talk," I muttered and grabbed the small shovel next to him. 

"You said to plant it myself for the spirit to be mine, right?"

"Yeah, if someone else did it- like me- the spirit would be based off of their will power, not yours."

I nodded and used the shovel to cover the seed with soil, firm it down, and water it.

He gazed in awe, "I didn't know you were good at this stuff."

I smirked, "Of course I'm good at it. I am a God after all." 

Yato glared and tried to protest, but decided it would be best not to.

I held back a smile and stood up. "How long do these things take to grow anyway?"

"It'll take approximately... five minutes."

"Five minutes?!" I asked in disbelief. 

He grinned, "It's a magic seed, after all."

Yato stared at the ground, "One, two, three, four, five, si-"

"Stop counting!" I thumped the back of his head.

He groaned and pouted, "You're so mean."

"Just be patient, Yato."

"How can I be patient?" he sighed. "I really looked forward to giving this to you. Honestly, I can't wait 'till you get it."

I blushed and turned away, "Be patient!" 

Hmph, who does he think he is? Making me all flustered...

I looked at him, our eyes instantly meeting. 

He smiled goofily.

A loud sound came from the ground. I quickly shot up, backing away. "What's happening?"

"I-It's growing."

"It hasn't even been five minutes."

"I don't know..." he mumbled.

Suddenly, something white started to form from where the seed had been planted. I could notice that it's ears were already there. 

It sprung up, the ground finally becoming still.