Chapter 13.

Kate's POV

The soldiers that had remained at the castle were battling with another kind of enemy. One I hadn't seen before. Well, at least in this form. The black smoke that swerved around the men fluidly had a likeness to what had appeared when the Dark Angels had travelled around or had disappeared when Harry destroyed that pendant that Erebus had worn during the war all that time ago.

Gaia halted in mid air, whinnying nervously and refusing to go forwards. I cooed softly to her, steadying myself and Harry on her back, making sure neither of us fell off at nearly 500ft in the air. I flew her down to land near the back of the castle, in the rolling fields where there seemed to be no fighting happening.

"Take him as far as you can from here, stay with him until he wakes up, then wait 'til I call you. Keep him safe."

Before she had the chance to follow me, I slapped her on the backside so she galloped as far and as fast as she could towards the dense forest that backed onto the castle. I scanned the wall for any weaknesses, spotting a few bricks and stones that jutted out just enough to be used as a foot hold for me to climb. I scaled the wall with relative ease, sprinting along the battlements and drawing my dagger as I went. I skidded to a halt once I had a view of the courtyard, hopping up onto the wall to perch and assess the scene.

Windows were smashed and glass was scattered across the cobbled floor, soldiers swung their swords through the smoke that past them, yielding little to no response, aside from the very same person being encased in the suffocating fumes as it swerved around. The mass would soon move on, revealing the poor soul dead, choked to death.

I didn't know how we were supposed to fight such a powerful foe, and it seemed impossible. I turned around quickly once I heard a loud thud behind me, and I was greeted by a tall, slender figure, shadowy like wings outstretched from where they grew on their shoulder blades. I vaguely recognised the outline, but I couldn't convince myself that it was him. It seemed too unreal.

"Hakon?" I readied myself for a fight, holding my dagger out in front of me.

The figure shook his head, taking another step towards me.

"Erebus?!" I trembled at the thought of such a powerful entity to have been reanimated from the dead, but once again, the man shook his head.

"Then who?"

He strained, making little more than a quiet groaning noise as he shifting uncomfortably, his muscles in his arms tensing vitally as he seemed to pull himself in. A large dark cloud enveloped him, and out of it emerged a large, darkened chestnut, wolf.

It walked carefully towards me, a slight limp evident in his it's gait. It softly nuzzled my hand that hung by my side, giving it a soft lick as if to convey that it in fact was going to hurt me. Even though I now realised who it was, I was thrown to the side by the force of an explosion next to me. We both ended up on our sides a considerable distance away from where we originally stood, before my focus flicked up to the approaching hooded men.

The wolf snarled, scrambling to his feet and lunging for the man at the front, his abnormally large size managing to knock him off his feet as he bit and scratched as his face. I panicked once I saw the second sprinting to save the first, but it was then I caught sight of the throwing knives that had been dropped by him a few feet away. I swiped up as many as I could and launched them into the chest and shoulder of the other two.

I snapped my gaze over to the rolling fields that faced the castle, seeing the army that had fought the assassins back where we had come from. What remained of those forces charged back, a red-headed woman leading them. However, once they reached the gate, she split off from them and headed around to the back of the castle. I saw the wolf had already moved on to help with the fighting in the main courtyard, so I ran around to follow this woman, whom I'd never seen before.