“Then why’s she here?” Jed asked, confused.

Trey looked over at Millie, an unfamiliar look in his eyes. “I don’t really know, Jed.”

“Well, what I’m trying to tell you is that Adam cut out this morning” Jed said urgently.

Trey bent down and retrieved the lead ropes, leading them further into the barn, not saying a word.

“Don’t you think this is serious no bueno?” Jed asked.

“I think it’s fine. I’m cutting out too, Jed” Trey said.

“What?” Jed squeaked. “You’re quitting?”

“That’s what I said. I have a son who needs his father” Trey threw a saddle over Hank.

“Why the sudden change of heart?” Jed asked, eyeing Millie.

“I’m tired of living for myself, Jed. You know what we did wasn’t right” Trey said.

Jed was silent.

“Was Adam mad?” Trey asked.

“I don’t really know. He’s been real jumpy since Wes left, er… got kicked out” Jed said.

“Think he knows about the money?” Trey asked.

Millie thought back. Trey had said something about some money being stolen.

“I think he and Wes both were in on it, Boss” Jed hesitantly.

“Wes told me you took it” Trey finished saddling Hank and grabbed another saddle.

“What? No, I would never” Jed said quickly.

“Why did he ask for money from me then?” Trey asked.

Millie silently watched Trey’s facial expressions, trying to figure out if he was regretting his decision to turn from his previous life.

“Cover up, I guess” Jed said.

Trey sighed and appeared to be thinking. It seemed like they had both forgotten Millie’s presence.

“Thanks or telling me. I’ll meet you up at the cabin in the morning” Trey told Jed as he waved Millie over to Hank.

Millie walked to them and Trey gave her a gentle leg up into the saddle.

Jed nodded and walked out, leaving dead silence behind him.

*****

Trey and Millie rode silently for a while, the stillness nearly driving him crazy. But what could he say? Inside himself he knew that Millie was in more danger than ever now with Adam cutting out and most likely pairing up with Wes. No gentle way to tell her came to his mind.

“What’re you gonna do?” Millie was the one to break the silence.

“About what?” Trey knew it was a silly question, but he had to buy some time.

“About Adam. He seemed pretty buddy-buddy with Wes, and they might be teaming up against you if they find out you’ve quit” Millie said, her eyes way too trusting for Trey.

“I know.”

Trey felt a headache coming on, and he rubbed his temples to try to keep it at bay. He felt Millie’s eyes on him, like they could see every emotion in his heart.

“You’re in as much danger as ever now, Millie” Trey said.

“I know that” Millie said simply.

Remembering Jed’s question, Trey found himself thinking the same thing.

Why is she still here?