Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Trey heard horses approaching the house Sunday evening, and he sighed. Millie and Clayton were finally home. He had read so many books they were running together.

The front door opened and in entered the small redhead he’d missed so much carrying his son.

“Millie” he smiled.

Millie smiled back at him. “Hey, Trey” she handed Quinn to him.

“How’s my little man?” Trey asked.

“He’s fit as a fiddle. Doc Jacobs said he just needed to be worked with.”

Millie took up her luggage and walked up the stairs.

Millie threw her luggage on the bed and walked to the window. She felt so depressed knowing that it would be so long until she saw Texiss or any of her friends again. Those friends had been there through thick and thin, no matter how annoying, or immature, or angry she got. Those were her true friends.

“God, what am I going to do? I feel so alone now. Is it really Your plan for me to be here? Was I too quick to take this job? Did I not trust You enough to provide? I’m so confused” she collapsed down into the desk chair she had pulled over to the window and put her head in her hands. She knew that she was doubting God again. “Lord, help me not to doubt Your plans. I give this entire situation to You. Help me to take my hands off of the problem and let You take control.”

It sounded so easy when she put it that way, but she really hated letting go of a problem she was trying to remedy on her own. Moving her hands down, she slowly released her clenched fists, as if letting go of control.

Then, like a silent breeze, something swept through her soul that dislodged the lump of grief in her chest.

Peace. Peace telling that her was God was near, and that He understood.

His hand on her shoulder telling her it would be alright.

*****

Trey went down to breakfast the next morning and heard Millie’s voice in the kitchen. He walked in and saw her and Mariah rolling our biscuit dough. Millie had flour all over the front of her dress, all up her arms, and on her face. Mariah was laughing at her.

Trey spun on his heel and exited the room. The last thing he wanted was to be part of that.

“Morning, Mr. Shannon” Clayton was coming down the stairs. “Looks to be a warmer day today”.

Trey nodded. “Good”.

He felt like a ride today. Maybe Millie would like to come along.

“Where’s the kid?” Clayton asked.

“I have no idea. Millie probably has him,” Trey said.

“You don’t wanna check?” Clayton cocked an eyebrow at him.

“No. I ain’t goin’ back in there,” Trey said.

Millie was cleaned up by the time breakfast was supposed to be on the table. She and Quinn were sitting side by side as usual, but there was something about Millie was different. Her face shone with radiance and Quinn giggled as she tickled him, her lovely smile spread across her face. Maybe she just slept good.

Halfway through breakfast, Trey asked Millie if she wanted to join him on a ride.

“Sure. A leisurely ride sounds good this morning. Even if I did do a lot of it yesterday” Millie smiled.

“Mariah won’t mind watching Quinn for a while, will you?” Trey asked.

Mariah grinned. “I’d love to”.