Chapter Twenty-Four

I wake up to the sound of crying and groan. It’s been two and a half weeks since we’ve had the kids and the baby. It was rather busying and kept me busy for half the day while Jake went to school. He’d tried to persuade me to attend my last week of school with him, but I wasn’t ready yet. Maybe I’d go just to watch him at graduation, but nothing more.

“Ugh.” I knew it was only me who should be getting out of bed because Jake had school in the morning, so I peel the blankets off of my shivering body and rush to her room so she doesn’t wake the boys. I couldn’t determine whether that was a hungry cry or a diaper cry. Turning on the small lamp in the corner of the room, I gasp when Sopha’s window is open and there’s a note in the corner of it.

‘Watch out for your baby, she just might disappear.’ My first instinct is to grab my crying child. Bouncing her up and down I try to calm her, a sort of numb feeling taking over my body.

Jake wouldn’t need to know of this little threat. Crumbling up the note in my fist, I throw it in the can by the changing table and hurry out of her bedroom, taking her to our room so she can get some sleep. There was no way in hell I was leaving her in her crib with that creep note. “Shh, it’s okay.” Jake turned over in his sleep, his expression peaceful as he mumbled something quietly.

I smile to myself as Sophia almost giggles at her daddy. “It’s okay to laugh at him, sweetie. Thank god your okay.” I hold her tight to my chest and smile at her before I drift off in my sleep once I knew she was safe enough for me to close my eyes. Just to be safe I put her in the middle of us and shielded her with the blankets, giving her a hole to breathe.

“Baby, I have to leave. You sure you’ll be alright?” Jake whispered into my ear as I realize what he’s saying. He smoothed my hair off my forehead.

I wanted to tell him that I wanted him to stay with me for the whole entire day because I was scared shitless, but that wasn’t a reasonable thing to do. “Yeah, go on babe. I made you lunch. It’s in the fridge.” I smirk at his shocked expression.

“Bye,” He kisses my forehead, my cheeks, and then finally my lips more passionately than ever. Smiling in the kiss, I entangle my finger in his hair and wrap my legs around his waist, not helping the groan that escaped my lips. “I’m gonna be late if you don’t let go, sweetheart. And I cant go into school with this.” I smirk when I realized he’s talking about his pants and what’s sticking out of them.

I watch him as his truck revs away for work and rock Sophia in my arms, struggling to flip the pancakes and hold the bottle in my hungry baby’s mouth at the same time. This morning was not going how I planned. Thomas and Kameron were on the floor in the kitchen playing with firetrucks and Caleb was in his room, sleeping. “Boys, could you please go play in the living room?” I beg, rubbing my temples as I try to calm Sophia down.

“Yeah, sorry.” Kameron grabs his little brother.

I really felt bad about Cindy leaving her children, but I shouldn’t be taking out my stress on the boys. After all, they’d just lost their mother who walked out on them. Taking me out of my thoughts was the burning smell of the pancakes in the pan. I take them out and set them on plates. “Boys, breakfast!” I called. Caleb should be up by now. Going to check on him, I lift the covers up to tickle him when I realize it’s just two basketballs in place of his tiny seven year old body.

“Caleb?” I ask, panicked and suddenly feeling very dizzy. Another note. ‘If you want your brother, you better come find him. Meet me at Oak’s camping ground, alone. Bring Jakey and there will be consequences.’ I knew the note was from Gina. Specifically because she called him Jakey.

Having no choice but to bring my baby with me, I leave the boys to eat their breakfast. “Lock the door!” I instruct, grabbing my cell phone and my jacket. I’d call Jake and tell him to call the police. Dialing his speed dial, I wait impatiently, biting my bottom lip. Starting the car, I drive down the road like a maniac, holding my baby in my arms all at once. I couldn’t risk taking too long.

“Hello?” Jake asked, noise of the student body in the background.

“Jake, it’s me. Call 911.” I instruct, going round a curve and up a hill.

“Wh-what?” He was breaking up. “Allie?” My phone died at that moment and I slam it against the steering wheel.

“Damn it!” I knew I’d have to save my little brother.

Even if it meant doing it alone.

_____________________________________________

Sadly, there's only one more chapter left in this book. I need to move on and continue with other stories I hope you'll enjoy just as well. Here it is, and at the end you might hate me, but hey not everything ends happily. there's a big twist to the ending! (;

I might update it tonight if I finish it up in time but im not sure.

So be on the look-out. :D

Comment vote fan? <3