Chapter Nine

Caleb wasn’t looking so well, but at least he was breathing on his own now. He was going to be going into surgery soon and to be honest it took all I had not to have a mental breakdown. I wanted him to be better, and alive and well. I wanted him to be the same annoying little brother he was after waking me up in the morning, begging for my special pancakes.

I just wanted to see those brown eyes of his twinkle again…

Holding his small hand even made me happy. I had ordered a very sleeping Jake to retire home for the evening and to come pick me up in the morning with a change of clothes and something to do my hair with so that I could look halfway decent in the morning. Dr. Schwartz walks into the room. “It’s time for his surgery, Allie.” The doctor said, smiling.

“O-okay.” I say, forcing the tears I wanted to cry to cease. I had to be strong in front of Caleb, for him because if I wasn’t strong then he would break down as well, and I didn’t want to frighten him. Kissing him and giving him one big hug, I pull out a surprise for him out of my purse.

“Whoa!” He exclaimed, smiling a big toothy grin with a couple missing in the front because he had just lost them. Smiling at his sudden happiness, I hug him one last time. “Thanks, Allie!” He hugged the Spiderman action figure tight to his little body and hugged me again before he was instructed to lay down, the Spiderman being lay down next to him.

The doctors told me I could stay while they gave him the anesthesia, but that was all. As soon as his little eyelids fluttered closed, I ruffle his hair and kiss his forehead. Everything will be okay, Allie, I tell myself as I go into the waiting room. It wouldn’t do me any good. All I would do is pace back and forth and wait until his surgery was over.

Finally, I felt like ripping all of my hair out. “Careful, you don’t wanna burn a hole in the floor.” Hearing that familiar voice gave me comfort and hope, it felt good. “Here, I brought you some coffee and donuts.” Jake handed me the bag of donuts and one of those brown cardboard cup holders with three steaming hot coffees.

“Thanks,” I hug him gently and he wraps his arms around me as well, squeezing lightly. “I hope one of these coffees is for you?” I ask, holding out the cup holder so he can take his own hot beverage. From his appearance, I could tell waiting for Caleb’s surgery to end was driving him mad too. His hair was disheveled, his eyes were bloodshot, and they had big gray bags underneath them. I knew I probably looked ten times worse.

A deep throaty chuckle escapes Jake’s lips. “Yeah, but that second one’s for you. I figured you’d need an extra one to keep you up and I have some homework to catch up on.” I gave him a quizzical look.

“Really, Jake Hammerson? Actually doing his homework?” I ask, faking a shocked tone. On the inside it really did shock me. It was weird.

He smiles a crooked grin, sitting me down in one of the waiting room chairs. “Yeah, call me when Caleb gets out of surgery, alright?” He ruffles my hair as I might ruffle Caleb’s when he’s asleep. I smooth out the damage done to the top of my head and roll my eyes.

“Will do.” I smirk and turn him in the direction of the exit. He needed some sleep.

“And take a shower in Caleb’s hospital room!” Jake shouts.

“I will as long as you do!”

“Yeah, that’ll happen.”

I shake my head with a smile and take a seat back down in the uncomfortable chairs. Sipping at the coffee, it spills on my shirt and then the lid somehow topples off, causing burning hot coffee to spill through my clothing material and onto my bare skin. Let me tell you, hot coffee burns! Hurrying up to where the elevators are located, I stop right before I step in. The stairs were my better option now.

Climbing up them carefully, I rush to Caleb’s hospital room and shut the door, locking it. A shower did seem nice right about now and it was almost if Jake had done that on purpose to get me into one. I was going to go insane waiting down there in that waiting room anyways, so I strip out of my clothing and easily hop into the built in shower in the bathroom. They only installed them in the long-term patients room.

Washing my hair like Jake had showed me, I couldn’t get that scalp scrubbing feeling that his magic fingers had acquired. Soaping my body, I rinse carefully, lingering longer than I should have. Stepping out, I dry myself carelessly before throwing my hair up into an untidy bun. Humming to myself, I put some lotion onto my long legs, going to exit the bathroom to find some clothes in the luggage Jake had brought along with him.

Wrapping a white towel around my waist, I tuck it in so that it won’t fall down. Going to exit the bathroom, the lights go out. “What’s going on now?” I grumble, flicking the light switch up and down.

Great, nothing but darkness. I tighten my towel around me a little more, this sort of stuff only happened in movies, didn’t it? Pondering what to do, I head to the doorknob and yank on it, someone stepping in front of me. “Ah!” I shout, almost toppling over from my near heart attack.

“Your so funny when you get scared. Used to work every time when we were young.” The voice sent shivers up my spine. Not the good kind either. Kyle was standing in front of my exit, and I thanked god that it was dark so he couldn’t see the look of horror on my face. Did he want revenge for me lying to him about my virginity? Was he jealous now that he knew about Jake and I?

I had a death grip on my towel. Even though I never even imagined Kyle doing something like that, I wasn’t taking any chances. “Wh-what do you want?” I ask, terrified.

Kyle got too close for comfort, and I back up so far away from him that my back meets the wall with a small thump. “I just wanted to check on you.” He was smirking, I could hear it in his voice. “I wasn’t done kissing you.” He leans forward and attempts to press his lips to mine, but I grab the towel off of my body without thinking of nothing underneath and snap him with it, my hardest snap yet by the sound of it.

“Your going to pay for that!” He had a joking tint to his voice, but for some reason I was afraid of him. Why? He grabs me by the waist and picks me up. I forgot I was naked for all but two seconds.

“Kyle, put me down and get the hell out of here!” I scold, getting down and threatening to snap him with the towel again, now my turn to smirk. Kyle smiles deviously and presses his lips to mine one more time, and I cant get them off no matter how hard I struggle. Then he leaves the bathroom without another word.

Did my ex boyfriend really just try to attack me in a hospital bathroom?

My palms were sweaty as I got dressed in my sweats, my eyes wandering the whole room as I did so. Arms around my waist. “Jake?”

Holding my breath, I let it out when he answers. “Yeah, I got my homework done with my tutor so I figured I’d come spend a little time with you.” He squeezes my waist and kisses my cheek, moving onto my lips.

“Aw.” I struggle for breath. Should I tell Jake about my little run-in with Kyle, or just let it be? Would Kyle have enough guts to confront me again? Not wanting to think about it any longer, I kiss Jake on the lips as well and return to sorting through my clothes. I was probably going to give myself an ulcer worrying so much between Caleb’s surgery and Kyle’s…attack. Was he just kidding? So many answers with so little questions.

________________________________-

 COMMENT-VOTE-FAN

 ♥