Chapter Twenty-Three

Rocking my baby girl in my arms, she’s beautiful. “Whoa,” Was all that comes out of Jake’s mouth. “Guess the miscarriage was a miracle baby.” He looks adoringly down at our new born child and grabs her tiny fingers in his hands, waving. “Aw, she’s so beautiful.” I smile and kiss her forehead. I was sweaty and unkept, but what do you expect? I just gave birth!

“Sophia.” I whisper, grinning largely at my soon to be husband.

“I love it!” He exclaims, kissing my lips tenderly.

I laugh as a response. Going home, we didn’t have a car seat, so I just held the baby in my arms and watched over her with motherly eyes until we could get one. “Allie, she’s precious!” Cindy squealed, holding the baby in her arms, bouncing him gently in her arms as we sit on the couch in the living room, cooing at the baby.

“Can I hold her?” Caleb asks innocently.

I cant help but smile. “Yes.” Jake grabs a pillow and sets it on my little brother’s lap, laying Sophia gently on his lap.

“She’s so cute.” Cindy gushed, rubbing Sophia’s small bald head. How could I not have known that there was a baby girl inside of my body? It seems like I would’ve felt something, anything. Maybe that’s why I’d been sleeping so much and puking late at night and early in the morning after Jake leaves for school.

Surprisingly, there’s only one week left until Summer, and that’s when we’re actually going to start planning the wedding. What worried me though, was if myself and Jake could strap down enough for one commitment. I was a prostitute, he was a player-an odd combination, but it seemed like one that could work together. You know what they say, opposites attract.

Sophia was developing well in the meantime. She was drinking formula from the bottle and had an already strong skull, which shocked me for her being born so prematurely. I rocked her to sleep in my arms, singing Rock A Bye Baby to her as softly and calming as I could. I felt the strong arms of Jake wrap around my waste as he shifted into the rocking chair with me, the moonlight being the only light in the room, casting a shadow on his face.

“Your such a good mom,” he murmured into my neck, trailing kisses up and down it which he knew got me every single time.

I smile at him, and laugh a breathy laugh. “Your such a good dad.” It was the truth. Jake has been going haywire to make sure everything was absolutely perfect for Sophia. He’s changed more diapers than I have, rocked her to sleep when she’s woke up screaming bloody murder in the middle of the night, and in the morning still had time to leave little notes on my pillow with a rose from the garden Cindy was working on.

I loved having them living here and everything, but there just didn’t seem to be enough alone time for Jake and I. I wanted the chance to completely dazzle him with my professional ways, that sounds bad.

Oh well.

Finishing the very last line of the song, I put baby Sophia gently in her crib and cover her up with the yellow blanket, turning on her mobile. Jake wrapped his arms around my waist once more, and we smiled proudly down at the new life form we had created together. It really was a wonderful baby, and black hiar was beginning to grow in her roots. I smooth my hand over her head before shutting the door cautiously behind me as not to wake her.

“I’m gonna go check on Caleb.” I say, whispering just outside Sophia’s door. Jake dismisses me, only in his boxers as he heads to our bedroom, cockily grinning at me, knowing what he wanted when I returned. Pushing open my brother’s door, him and the boys were sleeping contently on the floor in a fort I assumed Cindy helped them build. I smile warmly and shut the door so nothing would disturb them.

Wandering out into the kitchen, I find a note on the fridge in my mission to get a glass of water before bed. I gasp as I read the scrawled writing on the page.

I’m so sorry to have to do this, thanks for taking us in when we needed it. Please, take my boys and love them like you love Sophia. I cannot care for them any longer, I have found a nice little beachside house in New Mexico, and it’s the cutest little place. I just think you’re a better mother than myself.

-Cindy. ♥

Oh my god!

In my hurry, with my shaky hands I drop the glass as it shatters all over the hardwood floor. Carefully, stepping over it, I return to our bedroom and sob so hard it’s ridiculous. Jake is in the middle of singing some song as he combs through his hair, obviously preparing for me. “What’s wrong baby?” He rushes towards me, concern all over his face. “The doctor said you’d be emotional after-”

I cut him off, positioning the letter in front of his vision. He scans it with his eyebrows knitted, and then his expression turns angry after he reads it. “Oh no, this isnt happening. We’re not taking those kids. We have our own to worry about, damn it!” He cursed, his tone getting higher with every word.

“Shh, babe. You’ll wake the kids!” I scold, shutting our door so we could keep out as much noise as possible. “Let’s just take this thing one step at a time and we can deal with it, okay?” I attempt to calm him down, and thankfully, his expression softens.

“Okay, I’m sorry.” He kisses my lips, pulling back to smile at me. Wanting more, I kiss back, much deeper, as he licks my bottom lip with his sharp tongue, begging me for entrance to explore the mouth he already knew so well. He leaded me toward the bed and I gladly excepted his offer as he put his cool hands underneath my shirt, causing goosebumps to rise above my skin.

I’d never get tired of his touch.

________________________________________________________________________

I know you'd all want a chapter, and im sure ill be updating on friday as well. I know i havent updated a whole lot lately, but with exams and the end of the year being June 14, things have just been really crazy. Hope you all understand and dont forget to vote and comment? ♥