Chapter 17: New Threats

Start from the beginning

"You shouldn't have to. Aria, they weren't worth it in the first place if they didn't give a second thought about you." My heart sank further into my chest. "I hate seeing you like this."

"I know." I said quietly, resting my head back on his chest.

"I just wish you were mine again." He sighed, hugging me tighter.

"I can't do that right now Ryan." I began to protest but he still held me close to him.

"I know. Whenever you're ready. No rush." He stayed sweetly, kissing the top of my head again.

"I'm sorry for what Jake did to you. There was no excuse." I felt like I needed to say something about his face, it just looked too painful to ignore.

"It's okay, I could give him a taste of his own medicine if you wanted." I shook my head lightly against his chest.

"Ry, he's huge." I didn't want anymore confrontation concerning me.

"I know." He said with a laugh but I knew for a fact Ryan wouldn't miss the opportunity for a fight with Jake if it came about. I just hoped I'd be there to stop it if it did. No matter how much Jake hurt me, I didn't want him to be hurt either.

* * *

I felt brighter the next day. Ryan's comforting had helped distract me from my pain that had made a permanent home in my chest over the past few weeks, and I used that as motivation to get out the house and check on Bella. I found myself running to her house, I didn't know how to cope or to move on. I couldn't, not with Jesse being a reminder that everyone had left me.

I arrived at her house only to find her scent leading off into the woods. I panicked instantly, now that she had lost Jake, she had lost her help to move on, being reckless was her way of escaping. I took off following her scent, I didn't know how far she had gone but I knew I needed to get to her before anything else did.

I knew I was getting close to her when her scent got stronger but it was mixed with another's, she wasn't alone. I recognised the scent, it was the vampire that had been around the Cullen house. I didn't know what was going on but I needed to get there fast.

I was coming up to a clearing and I could now hear the voices. Still being able to hear Bella's relieved me. "Edward would know who did it, and he'd come after you." She said frantically as I pushed myself harder.

"I don't think he will, after all how much could you mean to him if he left you here unprotected." Unprotected my ass but it seemed the closer I got the distance didn't decrease. "Victoria won't be happy about my killing you. But I can't help myself you're so mouth-watering"

I broke through the trees, both of them becoming visible. I ran forward just as he moved closer to her but I acted faster. I grabbed Bella's backpack pulling her back and out of his reach, bringing my foot up at the same time to kick the other vampire away from the both of us. He landed on his back on the opposite side of the field.

I hissed in warning as he began to stand. "You stay away from her." I glared at him as he watched me, fascinated by me.

"And who are you?" He chuckled making a shiver run up my spine.

"The protection you thought she didn't have. Who are you?" Bella seemed to know him considering he had mentioned the Cullens and Victoria.