Chapter 14: Spiteful Endings

Start from the beginning

* * *

I was currently on my way to Jake's with Embry and Quil to ask if he wanted to hang out. He'd been with Bella a lot recently, blowing us off because he was hanging out with her so we were hoping she wasn't going to be there today. I was selfish and jealous on both parts, he was my best friend that I had a huge crush on and wanted to be around all the time, not to mention the fact he had a crush on her. Jake had also been helping to cheer Bella up, I just wished she had come to me instead.

"So how's the Ryan thing going." Quil asked, nudging my shoulder as we walked.

"Meh. He's annoying me a little at the moment." I groaned ribbing my temples.

"How so?" Embry asked looking down at me, tucking his long hair behind his ears.

"Like he doesn't like me worrying about Bella. He actually had a go at me in front of all our friends for sitting with Bella instead of them." I rolled my eyes at the memory, he's so full of himself sometimes but other times he can be a real sweetheart.

"Wow what a great guy you got there." Quil said sarcastically just as a huge gust of wind swept across Jake's yard. I breathed in and Bella's scent filled my nose, great. "What are you groaning about now?" Oops, didn't realise I had.

"Bella's here." I said all too quickly realising my mistake.

"How do you know?" Embry asked as we walked past Jake's house.

"Erm, just reckon she is." I hoped that was a good enough excuse.

"Yo, Jake you in there?" Embry called as we got to his garage door.

"No it's okay, it's just my boys... And Aria." Jake said obviously talking to Bella.

"Hey Jake." Quil grinned as I walked in behind them and straight over to Jake, who already had his arms open wide for me to walk into.

"Hey." He greeted, smiling down at me for a fraction of a second. "Guys this is Bella. Bella that's Quil and Embry." Jake introduced and Quil and Embry shot their gazes to me, I just winked at them playfully, no harm in freaking them out a little.

"I'm Quil Ateara." Quil said, as if Bella was going to be phased by knowing his last name. I scoffed turning my face into Jake's chest muffling my laughter as Quil put on his flirting voice. I glanced at Bella and saw her looking at Jake and I for help. "So the bike building story is true," he added as I stepped out of Jake's arms. What bike building story? I realised they had been hanging a lot but not building bikes.

"Oh yeah, I taught him everything he knows." Bella joked with a smirk.

"What about the part where you're his girlfriend?" Quil asked and my gaze shot to Embry and he looked back at me, a sympathetic gaze in his eyes and I felt my heart sink.

What? Girlfriend? My heart constricted and I felt like I was going to collapse until Bella answered.

"Err... We're friends." She looked confused as she watched Jake whose face contorted with panic and embarrassment and I tried to hide the pain on mine. I shouldn't feel this way.

"Ooh burn!" Embry remarked whilst he and Quil laughed.

"Actually remember I said she's a girl and a friend." He said pointing at Bella trying to save himself from the embarrassment. Jake side glanced me, his face still showing his panic and I quickly looked down at the floor knowing that if I looked at him my sadness would show.