Chapter 8: Do Witches Even Need Algebra?

ALIX's POV:

I waited by the exit of the cafeteria as I watched Prince Aleksander flirt lightly with a very dubious Caddie. She held her binder tightly to her chest as a scarlet blush colored her porcelain cheeks. Prince Aleksander tucked a loose lock of golden hair behind her ear and planted quick kiss on her rosy cheek. He walked away with his signature smirk on his face. What a jerk, I thought to myself. He was going to make my job a living hell. It was my job to keep Caddie from getting hurt and I knew he'd be the first person to put a knife in her back. He had only came out of hiding last year and yet the whole supernatural community knew he was a player. He was the future Heart Curator, it's literally in his job description to play with other people's emotions.

"So that's the lost princess," Jaxon said as he walked over to me.

Lunch with my brother was amusing, to say the least. in his own way he had become Nox Haven royalty. The girls hung onto his every word and the guys looked to him for approval. And of course the amusing part was that he had no idea that they gave him special treatment. I suppose he was attractive and an excellent magician, but besides that, there was nothing to lose your head over.

"Yeah, Princess Caddie Mae Jones. Or I suppose Lady Bose will have her known as Princess Caddie Mae Bose." I told him.

"She doesn't look like much." Jaxon concluded.

He wasn't wrong. Caddie was a small, innocent girl who didn't know anything about magic. When I met Caddie, I didn't even realize who she was. None of us had known anything about the lost heir. But when the two men carried Caddie off to Heidi Bose, it seemed suspicious. The Dark Witch wasn't known for healing. And then it was even weirder Lady Bose had looked genuinely concerned at Caddie's unconscious state. She was cruel and most commonly known as the executioner out of the council members; and yet she looked soft and almost motherly when she saw Caddie.

I watched as Caddie made her way over to us. Last night I had seen a vision of Lady Bose calling me to her office, where she would formally bind me to her heir-making me Caddie's protector. I would have loathed the job if Caddie hadn't been so likable. She was quiet and innocent, like a kitten, I couldn't help but feel protective over her.

Jaxon chuckled and shook his head. "I still don't understand how my little sister got wrapped into all of this."

Neither do I, I meant to say, but Caddie was already in front of us.

"Hey..." She said awkwardly, glancing towards my brother.

I cleared my throat, signaling Jaxon to introduce himself.

Being the over-dramatic idiot that he is, he bowed to her and kissed the top her hand. "I am Jaxon Slade, your majesty. It's a pleasure to meet you."

Caddie looked startled. I should have mentioned to Jaxon that she wasn't a big fan of physical contact.

"Yeah. Sadly, that bumbling buffoon is my brother." I said with the most amount of affection I could muster. "Come on. If we leave now, we can still make it to first period."

My brother waved goodbye, his green eyes twinkled mischievously.

"Why do you do that?" Caddie asked, as I hauled her away from my brother.

"Do what?" I asked.

"You use school as an excuse to leave situations you don't want to be in." We stood in the middle of the crowded hallway as kids rushed to their classes.

I shook my head in denial. "School is important. Can you blame me for being an academic enthusiast?"

Caddie gave me a doubtful look.