Chapter 1

Phil sat on the bench, he had no idea who would pick him up if anyone at all, he had served only half his sentence. Part of it was due to good behavior and over crowding of the jail, and being a non-violent offender helped his case. Katherine had divorced him, via a fax she was afraid for the safety of her children, if he was honest with himself he didn't blame her.

"Hey darlin', what do you and Anthony have planned for today" Adam asked as he sat on the floor with Anthony, just weeks away from his second birthday. The two play fighting, "anything fun?"

"Don't be so rough with him Adam, he's wild enough as it is" Kim said as she tousled Anthony's hair "just some errands, nothing major. Maybe we can meet for an early dinner?" She still hadn't told him about Phil being released early and that she planned on picking him up.

It was a point of contention for Adam, a fight always accompanied a monthly visit.The one time she brought up bringing Anthony to meet his uncle, it was down right ugly. It was the first time he threw it in her face that she wasn't Anthony's biological mother, implying that he always had the final say when it came to making decisions for Anthony. As quick as he said it was just as quick when her hand slapped his cheek and she stormed into their bedroom and locked the door.

It crushed her and she didn't speak to him for days following the fight. It was the first time, he had really tried to hurt her feelings and it surprised them both.

It took a couple of days before he apologized, he felt awful and he told her he regretted it the minute the words left his mouth, he cried as he told her he was sorry and that she was Anthony's mother in every way.

She shook the memory out of her head, "let's go get dressed buddy, give Daddy a hug bye"

The little boy did as he was told, "is mommy gonna give daddy a hug bye?" Adam joked.

"Of course, a little more than a hug" she kissed him "be careful, I love you"

"I'm always careful, I love you too" he pulled the door shut.

"Let's get ready Anthony, you're gonna meet Uncle Phil today, he's mommy's big brother"

Phil was getting antsy and was about to call a cab when he saw Kim pull up, "I'll be damned" he said as he approached the car.

Kim hopped out and wrapped her arms around him "you look good, sorry I'm late"

"Nonsense, it must be a cold day in hell if Adam agreed to this" he said as he peeked in on Anthony sleeping in the car seat, "Kim he's absolutely gorgeous"

Kim rocked on her heels, "umm, don't kill me but I didn't tell Adam that I was picking you up" she knew he wouldn't go for it, and damn it Phil is her brother and he needed her.

"Ah, Kimmy. I wish you wouldn't of done this, lying to your husband"

"I didn't exactly lie, Phil. I just neglected to tell him, I'm going to tell him though don't worry"

They both got in the car, "so I've already booked you a room at a hotel, I figured Anthony and I can spend a few hours with you before I meet Adam for dinner"

Phil smiled at a sleeping Anthony, "that's perfect, but you need to tell Adam, and soon"

--------Note--------

It seems like whenever I think I'm at a loss for ideas, something hits me.

I'm not sure how long this will be but here it is. I gave up on the "first person" style, I'm not very confident in my ability with that writing style. I hope you don't mind the change.

As always thanks for reading.

-Kristi