Chapter 29 - The Messy Mother's Meeting

I soon heard the doorbell ring as I quickly jumped up from my seat and ran over to it, with small hope it might just be Jack. I excitedly swung open the door to see Mom. Mom.My hopeful smile soon snapped into a disheartened frown. 

"Oh, it's you." I said unenthusiastically, though I didn't mean for it to sound that bad. 

Mom raised her eyebrows. "I know I'm your Mom but I'm not that bad surely?" She joked, stepping inside. 

"Sorry. Just tired." I insisted, walking into the kitchen, Mom trailing after me. 

"I thought you might be at work but I was in the area and thought, 'why not see if you're in'. Guess I got lucky huh?" She took a seat. 

"Yep. Lucky." I turned away from her. 

"Where's Jack?" She looked around the room, puzzled. 

I froze for a second, my eyes widening as I held my breath. "At work." I quickly stated. 

"You told me he didn't work on Saturdays..." She seemed confused. It was a Saturday after all. 

Shit. I closed my eyes, exhaling for a second. "At work.... At work to find some new shoes. He's out shopping... at work.. to find himself some new shoes..." I nodded quickly. 

"Oh.." She nodded slowly before laughing to herself a little. "Anyway." She began. "I came over because I wanted to invite you and Jack over for dinner, I haven't seen him in a while." 

My eyes widened. "Uhm... I don't think that'll work... Can't we just do it another time?" I pleaded, how was I supposed to know if Jack was gonna turn up? 

"But, I've invited all of Jack's family, Katherine said they would make it." She explained. 

My eyes almost popped out. "You did what?! .... I mean, I mean, tell them you're cancelling." 

"Why would I do that, I've already got the meal prepared." 

"I can't make it." I held my breath. 

"What's more important than family?" 

"I do have a busy life Mom!" I insisted. 

She gave me an odd look. 

"Uh, rude!" I held my hands up. 

"What are you doing then, if you have such a busy life?" She folded her arms, raising an eyebrow. 

I thought for a moment. Shit. "Going out..." I mumbled. "I'm going out with my friends." I nodded slowly before lifting my chin up confidently. "It's Saturday night and I'm gonna tear up the streets of Omaha, having a wild time."I think that silenced her. 

"Fair enough. We'll do it another day hm?" She slowly got up. "You have a 'wild' time 'tearing up' the streets of Omaha then. See you soon." She stated before disappearing. 

A/N: Guys guys guys 2 updates in a row aghhhhhhhhh

Gabby :)))