Chapter 2 - The Messy Encounter

Unlike me, my roommate Juliet was always at her hometown visiting her family. Sure, it was slightly depressing however I didn't need her around. We were friends, however not the type where I would be comfortable with her buying me multipacks of tissues and coffee because of how much I cried and how awake she needed to be for when I poured my heart out to her. I did this all on my own. I cried doing everything when I was alone. Studying, eating, reading, showering, even sleeping. I was always upset, as I was when I locked my apartment door for the first time in almost a week and headed down the elevator with my backpack. By my choice to bring only a backpack's worth of belongings, hopefully it would signalise to Mom that I was not staying for long. The sooner I was back in NY, the better. The bitter coldness of the city winter air stung at my bare face and neck as I pulled over a cab and headed for the airport. The three and a half hour flight to Omaha was miserable and boring and I still was undecided whether it was worse being on the plane, with a screaming baby behind me; or being in Omaha itself. I held my breath as I stepped out of the automatic airport doors, the wind blowing through the loose strands of my hair. I was terribly cold and longed for a hot drink, therefore I walked for as long as my body would allow me before I found a suitable place. It was a cute little coffee shop, not too big, however with many customers dotted around. Without hesitation, I stepped in through the transparent glass doors and waited in line, reading the headboard which helped me decide what I wanted. Before long it was my turn as I stepped up to the counter, not yet to have made eye contact with the male stood opposite me, serving.

"Uh hi, can I have a...?" I trailed off, searching the headboard once more. "I'll just go with a Cappuccino."

The male seemed stiff and oddly hesitant before he spoke. "What size?"

His voice. That voice. The voice that I fell in love with... Jack's voice? I shot my head up and just as I expected there he was. His charcoal hair was a little longer, quiffed up; slightly to the side, with no facial hair as I knew he'd never been a fan of beards or moustaches but the same chocolate eyes. He looked drop-dead gorgeous. Typical Jack.

"Jack...?" I stammered slightly.

"Uhh... Yeah...?" He looked a little concerned.

I was a little confused as to why he seemed so unaware of me. "Hi, oh my God, Where have you been? We haven't spoken in ages!" I laughed a little.

He still wore the same puzzled expression. "I'm sorry, I think there's some confusion here... Do I know you?" He raised an eyebrow.

I exhaled/laughed. "What? Jack, it's me. Regan?" How did he not recognise me?

"Regan..." His tone of voice was still unsure as he waited for a last name.

"From school... You know, we dated...?" I looked shocked.

He shrugged and frowned a little. "Uh, sorry... I think you've got the wrong person..."

"Jack, what's wrong with you?"

"What size Cappuccino, Miss?"

I sighed until it finally sunk in. He didn't recognise me. He had forgotten me. "Medium, thanks."

"Drink in, or take out?"

I thought about staying but what was the point? He didn't know me. "Out."

"Two, ninety five." He drummed his fingers on the counter looking at me anxiously. "Please." He corrected himself.

I fiddled around in my wallet until I pulled out the correct money.

"Here you go." He said with little expression as he handed me the cardboard cup. As our fingers touched we simultaneously gasped a little and looked up at each other.

"Uhh.. Uhm.. Thanks." I stuttered quickly taking it and pacing out the shop. I'd just met the love of my life again and to him, I was a stranger. He'd forgotten about me.