Chapter Eleven

Começar do início

She inhaled, feeling weaker with every breath.

"You are mine."

She exhaled, her eyes sliding shut under the heavy weight of her lids.

"You are safe," Sam reassured.

She felt safe. She was safe.

Allowing the new found calmness to drive her, Nikki leaned further in to his embrace; the hand on her back pressing their hips together, illuminating the last of the distance between them. Without realising, Nikki tipped her face upwards and sought out his lips, kissing him softly as she drowned in the stillness of her own thoughts.

Suddenly Sam was all there was. He was everywhere; he consumed her. His sturdy arms wrapped comfortingly around her, his hair brushing against her cheeks. His body, temptingly snug, against hers. She was safe. Sam was safe. She was Sam's ...

From somewhere deep inside the house there was a scraping and a growl. The unexpected interruption causing her heart rate to kick up a notch.

Had she fallen asleep? Was this the monster coming? She tried to think through the swirling mists of unconsciousness but Sam refused to let up on her, kissing her firmly but without any urgency.

"Always safe with me," he muttered against her mouth, squeezing her neck again and again, and tracing circles on her spine.

By now the growling had faded allowing Nikki to relax completely.

Opening her eyes, she was astounded by a beautiful white sandy beach. The stripy blue towel under her was wet. She looked at her limbs as they glistened in the sun - they were wet. She frowned, confusion clouding her foggy mind until eventually her memory returned. Of course, she'd been swimming!

To her left an alluring voice called her name. She waved and smiled as Sam blew her a kiss before disappearing over the horizon.Tilting her head back she closed her eyes, enjoying the sensation of the warm sun as it caressed her body. The breaking waves filled her ears and a delicious briny scent filled the air causing her to sigh with unabashed contentment.

It really didn't get any better than this.

Suddenly, a cold breeze ruffled her hair, spoiling the perfect setting and making her shiver.

"This isn't right," she murmured.

"No. It's perfect," Sam disagreed, appearing behind her.

She leaned back against his chest as he softly rubbed the top of her arms to rid her of the goose bumps that had formed. His bare legs rested either side of hers as he sat astride her resting his chin on her shoulder.

"Just perfect," he purred, slipping his arms around her torso and drawing her into his tender embrace.

"Mm, maybe," she pouted, and shook her head. "No. No I don't ... '

A second later, clarity hit hard and she remembered her companion. "Josh!"

Her eyes snapped opened and she found herself staring at the wooden canopy of an elaborately carved four-poster bed. Daylight streamed through dirty windows, pushing its way past the holey, grubby curtains.

On high alert and full of adrenaline Nikki heaved herself onto her elbows. Her gaze darted around the room but calmed as it settled on Josh. He was sat on the floor with his knees bent, and his fingers tugging at the thread of the ugly red carpet. His eyes glued to her.

"You were dreaming." Josh explained.

She weighed what he was saying against her strange memories.

"But," she scowled. "How? I ... " She struggled to articulate the swarming mass of questions flitting through her mind, desperate to fill in the chunk it time that seemed to have disappeared from her recollection.

"Ah, you're awake. Good morning, sugar," Sam called happily, poking his head around the once white, panelled door, "sleep well?" His grin was boyish and sincere.

Nikki fidgeted under their varying stares; one man looked blissfully joyful, the other like a murderous fiend.

"Um, yeah," she mumbled, unable to meet Sam's eye.

"Yeah? Did you dream about me?" Sam winked. She didn't need to reply, the flush saturating her cheeks confirmed what he already knew. "Good! It worked. Well, I'll see you both downstairs," he sang cheerily before his dark head vanished leaving Nikki alone with Josh.

"When did I fall asleep?" she asked trying to understand what had happened.

Josh coughed before answering. "Not long after we got here."

"When though? I don't remember coming to this room."

"I carried you; you were already asleep by then."

"Oh."

Apparently done with the conversation, he shoved himself up and padded to the door.

"Josh?"

She wanted to ask if she'd dreamt the kiss with Sam, but the look on his face stopped her. Instead she glanced down at the bed and shook her head. "I'll see you downstairs."

He grunted an answer and left, leaving her to quietly contemplate what was happening through the bewildering array of memories that filtered through her mind.