55

March 21, 2025

Azzi pov

everyone is warming up for practice. this is one of the last ones before the tournament.

I hear the gym door open and see Paige walk in.

what is she doing here?

"Paige," geno yells. "what are you doing here?"

"I'm here to practice, coach," she answers.

"you're not cleared to," he says. "you need to rest."

"I need to, though," she pushes.

"no! you're not able to!" he shouts.

"there's a chance I won't even be able to play in the second round!" she yells.

what?!

everyone stares in shock.

"I told everyone that I would be able to play in the second round. that was a lie. well, maybe." she pauses and looks at the ground. "there's a chance I won't ever be able to play here again."

"what?" I ask.

"please just let me practice," she begs. "I need one last one in case I don't get cleared."

geno thinks as he looks at her.

"I'm sorry, Paige," she apologizes. "but I can't let you put yourself at risk."

"please coach," she begs.

"no, Paige." he takes a deep breath. "I can't let you. if you got even more hurt, it could ruin everything. you wouldn't be able to play in any of the tournament, it could lessen your chances of getting drafted, and you most definitely would never be able to play here again." he pauses. "at least right now you have a chance."

she stands, frozen. "okay."

she turns around and walks out.

Paige pov

"fuck!" I yell once I reach the locker room.

there's a chance that I'll never be able to play on my home court again and I can't even practice there!

I throw the chair that sitting in front of my locker.

ive really gotta stop vandalizing this room.

I sit down in my locker and stare at the wall.

I feel tears run down my cheeks.

I can't do this.

A/N- we've got a longer one coming later tonight, dw.

BYE QUEENS