Open Invitation (For Sex)

Sorry, I'm not sure why it's all in bold. I tried troubleshooting and outside of going through each line manually, I'm not sure what else I can do.

Vanessa

"So, are you in love yet?" Ryan asked me with a grin, his green eyes glittering.

"I'm sorry, what?" I asked through a sputtering cough.

"With New York?" He gestured at the Statue of Liberty standing tall in the distance, surrounded by softly rippling water. He blew into his hands to ward off the chill before sticking them into his pockets. His cheeks were a rosy pink from the bit of the wind.

It was far too frigid to be galivanting out in the city, especially by the harbor where boats drifted by on occasion. But after witnessing my aw of Central Park, he had thought that perhaps, I would appreciate the scenic tranquility of the water by the Seaport.

Hanging my hands over the railing, I gazed off at the majestic monument, my hair whipping wildly about my head in the breeze. "I think she's growing on me," I replied with a smile.

"You know," I began, taking in a deep breath. "It's wild to think about how many people have fled their home countries to come to this exact location in search of a better life and greater opportunities."

He turned away from the sea, leaning against the railing and giving me a lazy smile. "Not much different than your reasoning for to Manhattan, now is it?"

I nodded. "That's exactly what I was after. And I want to seize all that comes my way and take those risks."

Ryan grinned at me. "I'm glad to hear that. You absolutely should."

Sighing, I began walking again, my boots crunching over the thin layer of snow on the stone pavement. "I admire all those people who left behind everything that they knew to make something of themselves. It must have been extremely difficult for them."

He shrugged. "I would assume so."

I paused my stride, shifting to touch his arm. "If they can be brave and embrace their new life, then so can I."

"That's the spirit," he replied with a chuckle.

I looked him in the eye, my breath hitching in my throat before I continued. "I mean it, Ryan. I've thought about your question and my answer is yes. I want you to paint me nude."

He raised his brows as his gaze searched my face. Then slowly, he exhaled. "Okay. When shall we begin?"

***

I followed Ryan back to his loft, insisting that he started the project tonight before I lost my nerve. He would be able to paint at his leisure once he had the photographs.

It was just the taking of them that had my knees rubbery and my palms sweaty.

I raked my trembling fingers through my hair for the dozenth time as I eyed my reflection in his bathroom mirror. My complexion appeared dull under the harsh fluorescence of the vanity lights, and I had a wavy lock that didn't want to sit right atop my head.

What does he find beautiful about me?

Glancing down, I pinched at the excess fat around my tummy and thighs, wishing that I had gone to the gym that week or well, ever for that matter.

Ryan rapped softly on the door. "Is everything alright? You've been in there for a while."

I exhaled, trying to collect my thoughts and settle my rattling nerves. Then opening the door, I greeted him with a pasted-on smile.