Betty's Big Birthday Bash!

Maddie: Three Years Ago

"I change my mind. I can't do this," I tell Tessa as she pulls up to the sprawling, white-washed mansion Betty Rowlands lives in. Cars are pulling into the driveway, or stopping to let off kids and then rounding the block. It's times like these that I wish I got off my ass and learned to drive. If I had my license, I would be the one behind the wheel and I could drive all the way back to the safety of my home.

"Come on, Mads, let's just go in and get this over with. It could end up being really fun," Tessa says, reaching into the backseat to pull out the birthday present she's neatly wrapped for Betty. I chew my bottom lip, wondering if people will judge me if they see me dip out. I really, really don't want to be here right now.

On the one hand, I'm still smarting from the not-so-obvious dig Betty made about me coming to her party. On the other hand, I still remember how sick I felt after the last party I went to. Sure, I'll be careful this time and not accept drinks from total strangers, but I still don't feel like being around people. If Jake hadn't been around last time...

I sigh, forcing myself out of Tessa's car. This is different. This is Betty's birthday party where there will be lots of adult supervision.

Tessa and I link arms as we walk up to the front entrance of the mansion. The front door has been propped open and I can't help the awe I feel as I step into the place.

There's a table in the middle of the foyer that holds a mountain of presents. Tessa places her gift there neatly and we continue on towards the back of the house. Most of the rooms have been closed off but what I see is still magnificent. There's a chandelier in every room we walk through and every wall holds an expensive-looking painting. I pause when a flash of green and yellow catches my eye. One of Van Gogh's sunflower paintings leans against a pristine white wall. My breath catches when I see it and I drag Tessa with me to look at the painting.

"Do you think it's the real thing or just a print?" I ask, wanting to reach out and touch the canvas. I pull my hand back, staring at the beautiful scene in front of me. Betty might not be my favorite person but her dad's taste in art is impeccable.

"Who cares?" Tessa says, pulling me away and ushering me towards the garden. It's obvious the older Rowlands don't want any teenagers loitering in the house. Besides a few caterers coming to and from the kitchen, the house is empty. There are even little paper arrows on the walls and floors indicating where the guests should go.

As we enter the garden, the sound of voices assault us. There must be at least half of our school here today to celebrate Betty's birthday. I'm surprised to find that there are many adults here too, all dressed in loose button-down shirts and summer dresses. I look down at the jean shorts I'm wearing and suddenly feel severely underdressed.

We spot Betty dressed in her signature pink and make our way to her. She's holding court by a pavillion and we have to wait in line to wish her a happy birthday.

As I wait, I look around at all the faces. I've only known these kids for a few months so even the kids I have classes with feel like strangers. I catch a boy from one of the younger grades staring at me weirdly and I look over at him. He looks away before I can ask him what his problem is but not before I see a fading bruise under his right eye. My breath catches but Tessa forces me to move forward.

"Maggie and Tessa!" Betty coos. "You made it!" She laughs and fluffs out her dress for us to see.

"Her name is Maddie," Tessa corrects for me. I stopped correcting Betty after the third time she got it wrong. "And happy birthday. I hope it's one for the books."