The Full Range of Teenage Emotions

What even is this story anymore, lol?

Maddie: Three Years Ago

My ass still hurts. Yesterday, when Jacob smacked me, he did it with force. I rub it with ointment when I see the big, purple bruise that's formed after I get out of the shower.

I can't believe he smacked my ass. I can't believe I shoved him. I can't believe that I've regressed into an annoying, hormonal teenager who's obsessed with a guy!

I twist the lid back onto the ointment with force and get dressed aggressively. Today I'm wearing one of my mom's old Nirvana concert T-shirts and the Nat Geo Vans she got me for my birthday last year. They're my pride and joy but not even the bright yellow against the black canvas of the shoes can put a smile on my face.

I'm a monster all through breakfast and everyone correctly leaves me only, except for Josh who snickers behind my back and mumbles something about PMSing. I throw a piece of toast at him but that's as violent as I get.

Luckily, school flashes by me in a blur. There's only one moment where I'm not doing something angrily and that's when Betty Rowlands comes up to my locker before the second last period.

"Maggie! There you are!" She calls, her blonde bob bouncing as she jogs up to me. She's in a pink ensemble today and I hate to admit that she looks cute. It should be a rule that you can't be mean and attractive.

As she nears me, I see she's holding a stack of flyers in her hand. She hands one to me and I resist the urge to throw the paper into the recycling bin that leans against the wall.

"What's this?" I ask, scanning the pink piece of paper. Betty's Big Birthday Bash! is scrawled over the top in my bold letters. I feel a spark of hope flare in my chest. Maybe she's not so bad after all. "You're inviting me to your birthday party?" I ask, treating the flyer like it's an olive branch.

"Er... actually I was hoping you'd give it to your brothers. But you can still come," She says, her lip curling as she considers the possibility.

"Oh, sure," I say, my eagerness dispersing. So it's not an olive branch. "I'll give it to Josh."

"And Jacob!" She says, forcefully. I take a step back from her, hearing the bell ring.

"Whatever."

-

I do as I'm told and slam the invitation down on the kitchen counter as soon as I get home. Then I take out my textbooks and immediately start on my homework. I want to get lost in the process but then Jacob enters through the back door. Shirtless.

"Are you kidding me?" I say, forcing my eyes away from his sweaty abs. The guy has abs! Un-freaking-believable. I had suspected as much the few times I'd watched him play soccer but seeing it up close like this makes me lightheaded.

He's covered in grease, probably working on someone's car, and I know he's only shirtless to save his clothes from being ruined, but still. It's like he's shoving what I can't have right in my face.

"What's wrong with you?" He asks, picking up the flyer when he sees it. I snatch it before he can read it.

"Where is your shirt?" I demand. Amusement curls his lip and I know he's about to open his mouth and annoy me. "You better not make some smart-mouth comment, Jake. I'm not in the mood."

"No shit," He says, pulling the paper out of my hand. He reads the text and smirks. "I didn't realize you and Betty were such good friends." He throws the crumpled pink paper back at me.