Move On

Maddie: Three Years Ago

When I wake up, Jacob's gone. I blink up wearily, looking at the mussed-up sheets that his body lay on. I reach out, stroking a hand over the spot. It's still warm like I just missed waking up to him. I shouldn't feel this way, but I'm disappointed that I didn't get to see a sleepy Jacob.

I turn over in my bed, facing my window. The early morning sunshine floods into my bedroom bathing the walls in a buttery light. I was the one who told him to move on a few days ago... and now I'm the one still feeling like I made a mistake.

I sigh, closing my eyes and willing the world to make sense. I was right the first time around. We did what we did before we were related. Now it's time to get over myself.

-

At school, I find out through Tessa what happened at the Lake House.

"God, I am so embarrassed!" She tells me at lunch, banging her hand on the cafeteria table. "I should never have taken you there."

We're barely a blip on anyone's radar as kids from all grades rush in and out of lines and clamor to find tables with their arms carrying lunch trays. I usually like Lunch but right now I'm wishing that time would move faster so that I could go home. Lately, I haven't felt like hanging out in crowded places.

"It's not your fault, Tess," I say, the words like a mantra. I've been trying to cheer her up about the incident since this morning.

When I finally got around to charging my phone, I saw I had missed a dozen texts from her. They were all apologies and a few about Jacob. I frown at the memory, pushing the Sloppy Joe on my plate.

"Still... I can't believe those guys spiked our drinks. I feel like such an asshat. Not accepting uncovered drinks is common sense... and then I went and acted like a fool around Jacob..." Tess says trailing off and looking kind of pale.

"What did your parents say?" I ask, changing the subject. I'm not ready to have the Jacob conversation with her just yet.

"Oh... they don't even know I was there. Because Josh dropped me back home before they got back, only Hailey and her friends got in trouble." She explains, stabbing a straw through her bottled strawberry milk.

I nod watching as she takes a long sip from her drink. Tessa has a lot of siblings and out of all of them, Hailey is known for being the wild child.

"How'd you explain..." I trail off, not knowing how to finish my question. It doesn't matter though. She knows exactly what I'm referring to when we make eye contact. Her eyes tighten around the corners and she starts fidgeting with the paper her straw came in.

"My parents didn't even see me until the next day. I crashed and I came through at around four p.m. They thought I was sleeping in after pulling an all-night study session." Although her words are light, there's an edge to them that makes me think she's upset about their lack of a reaction.

She's lucky though. It's better that no one knows what happened. The quicker we forget about that day, the better.

Before we arrived at school, I was determined to find out who'd spike my drink through a process of elimination. After all, if Jacob's hands were anything to go by, I just needed to find someone who was sporting a few shiners. Alas, my would-be assailant wisely decided to take today off. It's a good thing too. If Jacob realized who it was...

I shove my tray away from me, suddenly not hungry. He was so mad... he's just lucky no one saw him beat that kid up.

As though she can sense my thoughts, Tessa clears her throat. I look up at her and see the nervousness in her body has changed. She squirms in her seat and I sigh. I've put this off for long enough...