When The Cat's Away...

Part Two: Things Better Left Forgotten

Jacob: Three Years Ago

Maddie has turned avoiding me into an art form. Ever since our parents's wedding, we haven't spoken to each other unless we're in a room with other people. I'm never able to catch her alone. She doesn't visit me in the library anymore and even at home, now that her family has moved in with us, she somehow manages to escape me before I have the chance to speak to her privately. 

I leave it for the most part. It's frustrating but if she doesn't want to talk to me then I won't push it. We should just leave what happened in the past and move on. 

But that's easier said than done. Every time I go to sleep, I think about the way she kissed me in the barn. And then I think how good it felt... 

I really, really need to talk to her. 

Before my mom and Keegan go off on their long-awaited honeymoon, they sit us older kids down to lay down the law. 

"While we're gone you guys need to set an example for Mary and Shelley," my mom says sternly. She's forced us to sit at the dining room table while she hands us each a sheet covering emergency numbers, schedules, and the foods we're allowed to eat while they're off exploring Europe. 

I look down at the list. She's color-coded names to make it obvious whose chores are whose. Maddie and I are the only ones who get cooking duty. 

"If anything happens, first call Miss Jones," she says, referring to our next-door neighbor. "If it's a dire emergency, call 911 immediately." My mom starts wringing her hands and almost looks like she wants to call the whole thing off until Keegan comes up behind her and puts a steadying hand on her shoulder. 

"I'm sure they can manage, honey. I really don't think they're in danger of getting in to too much trouble," He says mildly, a smile on his lips as he looks down at all the information she's given us. 

"I suppose so..." My mom says and then points a finger directly at me. "Jacob, you have to promise me you won't allow your sisters to kill each other." 

"I promise," I say, sharing a look with Josh. He raises his eyebrows. Hey, it's a harder task than you might think.

My mom turns her piercing gaze to Maddie. "And you, every day you must sit down with them and do your homework with them." 

"I don't think I have to supervise the twins doing their homework. They're pretty self-sufficient education-wise," Maddie says, looking bored. 

"Actually, they're making sure you do your homework," Her dad tells her and laughs at the offended sound she makes. "What? It's true, Maddie. You're lazy when it comes to that stuff."

She falls back into her chair, crossing her arms over her chest as she mumbles something about untrue perceptions of people. Unfortunately, Keegan's not wrong. I once watched Maddie write a history paper on World War Two after watching Pearl Harbor. It's a witness account, she'd said when Josh and I had asked her what she was doing.

"Well, I guess that's everything," My mom says standing up. 

"Thank God," Josh and I say at the same time and smirk at each other. She went through every bullet point in such excruciating detail she made my end-of-year exams sound fun. 

My mom shakes her head at me but Keegan, eager to get her to the airport and on their honeymoon, starts guiding her out of the room. 

"Just think, Lily, in twenty-four hours we won't even remember we have kids."