Chapter 11: Family

-- Eren...

-- I thought I made it clear, I don't want to talk about it.

'Drag me down' was playing softly on the radio. A hit that Eren was fed up with. He's heard this song everywhere since it was released. On the radio, on the Internet, in the supermarket, at university, at home and in the gallery. How much can you do?

Mikasa and Jean didn't seem to mind though, as they sat in the front, quietly tapping a rhythm on the transfer case.

Armin, completely disconnected from the conversation, was staring out the window, his head resting against the glass and his headphones in his ears.

How could they be so calm in the face of what had happened?! He had just been exposed to the whole of Europe, made his father disinherit him and his sister, and then, on top of all that, got involved in rumors of an affair with a much older, busy man, aka his father's greatest competition!

But he didn't want to talk about it, did he? Sam had just said that to Mikasa. So why is he so eager for questions from them?

Everything was fucked up, especially himself.
He snorted under his breath and turned his eyes to the view outside the window.

-- So what will happen to my car now? - he asked quietly, drawing the attention of Jean and Mikasa, who, however, did not take her eyes off the road.
-- It stayed in the motel parking lot.

Jean sighed heavily and then grabbed the chair, turning his body to Eren.
-- You know, man... you haven't seen your father in person yet. He's furious like never before...

-- More than after this kid's birthday. - Mikasa added, as always, comfortingly.

Jean gave her a confused look, but continued talking.
-- ...yeah...I wanted to say that I would advise you to wait before asking him about the car. When we were leaving to pick you up, he was shouting something to an employee to take your car and lock it in a safe...

Mikasa stepped on the gas.
-- He's gone completely crazy, I swear...

Eren nodded, returning his gaze to the view outside the window, trying to ignore his headache and the pain of the dark bruises blooming on his skin like flowers in May.
Golden fields passed in the blink of an eye, separated by narrow strips of coniferous forests.

-- Where will we stay now?

-- Uncle Hannes, probably. - his sister replied, probably straightening a strand of raven hair that was falling on her face.
-- Jean and Armin wanted to invite us to their place, but Mr. Arlert is busy anyway, as is Mrs. Kirstein. They don't need another two to support them.

-- My mother doesn't think so, I already told you that! - Jean replied immediately.
-- She would be very happy if you stayed with us.

-- Probably, - Mikasa agreed, turning on the lights.
-- But her wallet wouldn't share her enthusiasm.

Jean laughed humorlessly, and Eren muttered an answer that was unclear even to himself.

He recognized from the buildings surrounding the car that they were in a nearby village, near Shiganshina and his goduncle's confectionery factory.

The thought entered his head completely unexpectedly.

Should he apologize to Levi?
Yes, the man wasn't particularly nice during their first meeting (he cut his damn ear!), but he redeemed himself last night, right?

If exchanging life stories can be called rehabilitation.

However, under the influence of alcohol, Levi opened up more and more, until finally around 2 a.m. they were talking as if they had been friends for years, and this was their second (second!) meeting.