Chapter 4: Undying flame

-- Anyway, how was the talk with your father?

Eren pushed away the spoon filled with oatmeal, feeling his good mood begin to fade.

Armin, as if noticing this, put down the cutlery as well, extending his hand towards his friend and then placing it comfortingly on his shoulder.

He didn't knock him down, but he didn't show that the gesture seemed to cheer him up in any way.

-- Actually, it wasn't as bad as usual, - he replied after a while, bringing the spoon to his mouth again. He swallowed, appreciating the amazing taste of strawberries and chocolate.
Eren didn't even realize that on the morning of his departure, Uncle Hannes slipped him some of his own sweets and this particular porridge into his travel bag. He vaguely thought about writing to him to thank him, but instead swallowed the portion once again.
― We only talked once, when I just arrived. I was supposed to go visit him the next day, but Jean came and somehow we went to the cinema.

Armin seemed disappointed.
― It's a pity I wasn't there. I'd love to go see something too.

Eren stared at his bowl, not daring to look up.
He wasn't sure if it was due to his mania for searching for second meanings, or a special procedure used by his friend, but he understood these words as an invitation to the cinema.
-- Um, yeah - he replied awkwardly, still not looking up. The situation was remarkably reminiscent of their first date, except this time it was Armin who made the first move.
He wanted to snort at the irony.
― We should go sometime.

He could feel his friend's jaw muscles tense as he spoke.
― You mean like... with Mikasa and Jean?

He counted to three and then quickly raised his head, staring straight into Armin's eyes.
― No, Armin. I'd rather be alone with you.

There was silence at their table, even though the rest of the students were still talking around them. They stared at each other, and the air around them seemed thick enough to cut with a knife.

― Eren. - The blonde cleared his throat, as if the lump in his throat wouldn't let the word leave his throat.
― I... I'd love to. You know about it.

-- But we can't. - he finished dryly for him, not even trying to hide his disappointment.
-- Yes I know. You've told me that more than once.

A look of pain crossed Armin's face. He didn't see anything else, though, as the boy's blond hair obscured her as he bowed his head down, looking defeated.
-- We shouldn't start this again, Eren. You know well what it looked like.

- We were suffocating in this relationship. - Eren interrupted.

-- Our relationship is well healthier as a purely friendly one. - Armin added, standing up to throw the disposable bowl and spoon into the trash can.

Eren followed him.
-- You're right.

They moved in silence towards the dorms to collect the bags with books and notebooks left there.

― Eren! - he heard when he was about to enter his room.

He turned his head over his shoulder, standing with his back to his friend.
-- Yeah?

-- I love you. - Armin announced in a confident voice. Eren's heart pounded against his ribs and his body turned on its own at the words.
― Even if we can't be a couple, it doesn't rule out love between us.

― What should I do about the fact that every time I see you I want to kiss you? - he asked quietly, swearing inwardly as his voice broke at the end of the sentence.

-- I don't know, Eren. - the blonde answered surprisingly honestly.

Eren had expected some beautiful speech about the meaning of platonic love but it never came.
He frowned.
-- Well, that's a shame. Let me know if you find out.