Broke every promise

Jessie's POV (Ben's mom)

Not even in my wild dreams, I thought Sita is John's own niece. I love Sita so much, she is wonderful kid. I prayed to Jesus that Sita shouldn't go through Kuriens complicated dramas but what I didn't know is she is Kurien's blood and is already part of it. 

What happened on the day Anand came was unfortunate, it shouldn't have happened. John shouldn't have insulted Sita or Anand and Ben behaved so immaturely. I told Ben that it's not entirely Anand's or Sita's fault, John was the one who started and they just reacted. I didn't tell how John spoke I'll of Sita.

Ben tried hard to find Sita's whereabouts but couldn't. House became eerily silent after that day except for the sounds of Ben's breaking things. He is frustrated that he can't find anything about Sita. He wanted to go to States to look for Sita but his Visa got rejected. Ben thinks that there is Anand's hand in rejection.

Ammaimma(John's mother) was so mad at John and Ben for what happened that she stopped talking to them. All the pictures and articles of Sita with Ben disappeared. John arranged Ben's engagement with Stella. I was shocked when Ben agreed, later I learnt that he is helping Stella. She is in love with Dheeraj, Ben is protecting her from getting married to someone. 

It's been two months that Sita left, Ben has no luck finding her. I was in living room waiting for Ben, he called me excitedly this afternoon and said that he has good news. I hope it's about Sita. It's past 10 but no sign of Ben, he isn't even picking my calls. John came, I didn't expect him, he is supposed to come tomorrow afternoon from Delhi. I had dinner with him. 

Just then Ben came, he doesn't look good, eyes are red, unable to walk properly. He is drunk

"Dad, you are here... I have great news for you...  you win dad, congratulations" he took John's hand and shook. John was shocked seeing seeing Ben like this, so am I 

"Sita broke up with me, she asked me to stay away from her and our baby if I want to be a good father... she doesn't want my baby to grow under our so great egocentric Kurien roof..." he said in tears

"Sita is pregnant?" I asked in shock

"She is pretending to be pregnant... luring you just like her dad...." John said

Ben laughed

"No wonder she doesn't want a family like us who would taunt her blood line... She never told that she is pregnant dad, scared to share with Kurien..." he told how he found Sita is pregnant

"Tell me one thing dad, if you say Sita is shameless, what am I? Intimate things happen between couples when they are in love. Isn't intimacy expression of love? Or do you feel couples must have marriage license for that? Even though we didn't marry officially, Sita is my wife, part my soul. If you still think our love is shameful, then every birth is shameful dad... including mine and yours

I met Sita for the first time, the night our photos published..." he said

"What?" We shouted in shock

He told how they met and everything that happened. That was shocking

"Sita was scared of marriage and commitment, ran away from home to escape marriage with her childhood friend who treats her like an angel. Even his family adores her. 

Sita saved me, pretended to be my girlfriend to help me when I was nothing but an asshole to her, I abused, mistreated, humiliated and used Sita dad...

I realized my love 2 days before engagement. That day when we went to shopping, I couldn't see her with Dheeraj, I humiliated her with my words in jealousy. She didn't have to stay to help me but she did. I couldn't bear the thought of her leaving me, marry someone...

She accepted my love though I don't deserve her. She saved her virtue for 22 years to give it me, the wrong person. The day we went missing,  she gave me the right to claim her because she trusted me, loved me...I promised Sita that I would never give up on our relation, exactly 3 weeks later I threw her out of my life" he sat on floor crying. I hugged him

"You knew something like this will happen, you knew we Kuriens can only give hurt... that's why you gave Sita after pill, didn't you" he asked me

"Sita didn't want to take, she said, 'whatever happens we should take responsibility for our child right.... how can I think of killing our baby not even knowing if she is there... parents should wish for long life of children right, how can i wish not to have a baby....'

I justified saying she is not ready for marriage.  She said, 'I'm not ready Ben, I'm not ready for love, physical relation too but I trust you... I trust you enough to have a baby with you '

That's the trust she had in me... I promised her that I will take responsibility, take care of everything no matter what.

Today she is pregnant, I abandoned her and she is being forced into marriage with that Santhosh...

Do you know what she went through for loving me, she was grounded, locked in her bedroom for all these days with no outside contact, blackmailed into marrying her best friend. She was so drowned in sorrows that she didn't even realize that she is pregnant She missed periods, been throwing up and  fainting but didn't realize. I saw her after2 months yesterday, I hurt her again because she was performing pre wedding rituals with Santhosh. Didn't even bother that she is sick. Dheeraj realized Sita is pregnant but me, the one who is responsible is so selfish that I couldn't see beyond myself because I'm the great Kurien who can't think beyond myself" Ben told what happened yesterday and today...

Sita is better off without me, my toxic relationship... but I'm unable to bear the thought that she is going to marry Santhosh... my baby will call him dad.." he cried

"Tell me one thing honestly dad, you liked Sita so much didn't you! Otherwise you wouldn't have apologized for trying to change her religion. Now you hate her, why? Just because she is the daughter of the person you hate! 

"What do want me to do dad, marry the girl of your choice? Ok, I will marry anyone you want but remember, you can bring daughter in law but she can never be my wife because Sita is my wife and will always be. I can never love or touch anyone else" he left crying to his room

I'm scared seeing Ben, wanted to follow him but thought to give him some space, moreover he is drunk... will talk to him in the morning. I will talk to John and convince him about Sita. I will beg Anand and Hela for Sita's hand. I can't see Ben broken, he will die without Sita.

John sat on sofa with blank expression. I gave him water.

I don't know for how long we sat in silence. Hearing doorbell, I got up to open, it's past mid night, who came at this hour.