Chapter XLVI: When Angus Comes Around

December

I was stuck to my bed. The past few days had been so hot I actually thought I had melted in the night and was now a human puddle. Slithering to the floor and under my door I made it to the toilet and brushed my teeth. My face had broken out a little from the sweat and PMS and the mirror cracked. Toothpaste dribbled down my chin and I growled at myself. 

Beauty.

The living room was devoid of any babies and Mum told me Koa had a fever and couldn't come. Had I not been a puddle I would have turned a cartwheel. As it was I went to the kitchen for a glass of fresh water. I helped myself to a bite of bacon that sat on a paper towel and looked outside. 

Another scorcher. Not even summer yet. The new A/C wouldn't be here for a while either. 

Today was a 'reading in my room with the fan on full blast and the curtains drawn' kind of day. 

I put The Women's Room aside for now and picked up The Silmarillion instead. I had a basic understanding of what was happening; the creation of Middle-earth and all that. Morgoth causing a scene, gems of treelight, et cetera. 

I know, I'm a genius.

Right at a particularly intricate and detailed paragraph that took all my concentration, a loud banging on my window scared me shitless. I pulled the curtain back and squinted from the bright sunlight only to see a large bird flapping away. Shaking my head I let the curtain drop back into place. 

Still fighting off fake opponents, I see. Would you like a trophy for your gallantry?

Getting back into my book I tried to stay awake as Morgoth revealed his true intentions. 

For the second time.

A quiet knocking on my bedroom door had me setting my book down and rubbing my sleepy eyes. I slithered out of bed and opened the door to see Mum. She had a confused smile on her face. "There's a man at the door for you," she whispered. "I don't know who it is but some really short man is asking for you."

My heart stopped.

It couldn't be.

My mind was going a mile a minute. Was my hair okay? Did I look alright? Was I sweating too much? Should I have showered beforehand, did I smell? Mum stared at me, probably hoping there was a secret romance between us. Until she found out who he was. 

If it really was who I thought it was....

Gathering up my nerves and trying not to get my hopes up, I walked toward the front door which Mum had left ajar so the kittens couldn't escape. My sweaty hand grasped the door handle and I was suddenly unable to move. 

What if it isn't him?

Who else would it be?

What if he's come to tell me he doesn't want me anymore? Like my nightmare?

He wouldn't.

But what if-

Open the fucking door, already!

Okay.

I braced myself and slowly opened the door. 

There stood a tiny man in jeans and a t-shirt. Exceptionally long hair, and an exceptionally beautiful face. He was stepping on a cigarette he had just tossed to the ground. When he looked up at me he squinted from the sun and smiled. Before he had a chance to say anything I was in his arms. 

He scooped me up, my feet hovering just above the ground. He smelled like smoke and honey. I buried my face in his neck, his strong arms holding me as close as possible. Suddenly I was home. I was safe. I was happy. 

I didn't want him to set me down, but when he did he gently backed me up against the house and kissed me good and proper. His lips even tasted like honey and I wondered what caused it. But I didn't care, nor did I want him to stop. His lips moved to my cheek and all over my face. I laughed and squirmed in his embrace. "Been...far...too...long," he said in between kisses. 

"Angus, stop! My mum...." With one last kiss on my nose he glanced toward the open front door. I couldn't see Mum but I didn't need her seeing me practically making out with my boyfriend. He kissed my cheek and stepped away.

"Sorry, love. Standard procedure," he said putting his hands in his pockets. I brushed my wild hair back, having slacked on styling it. Angus studied me a minute giving me a goofy grin. "Look at you."

"What?" I asked.

He shrugged. "Jus' as lovely as I left ya'," he said. "Showin' your legs jus' for me?"

I blushed and tugged at the hem of my long shirt. I hadn't shaved in a while and I think the neighbours were about to call Animal Control. "It's hot out, Ang."

"So it is." He almost growled with that wolfish grin, matching my wolfish appearance. Angus didn't seem to mind it or at least knew better than to say anything. 

"Hannah, are you coming back in?" Mum called from the house. "I don't want the kittens running out."

Here we go...

"Did you want to come in?" I asked.

"Thanks, love, it's boilin' out here," he said swatting away some flies. I took his hand and led him inside my house, my heart racing. 

Mum was in for a big surprise....