Chapter V: California Dreamin'

My whole body ached. The rubbish bin teemed with tissues. I locked my bedroom door.

Just another typical family gathering at my house. 

Pink Floyd drowned the commotion outside my room. More talk about the end of the world. I'm surprised my family hasn't already stocked up on supplies. Wiping my eyes one last time, I curled up in my massive blue blanket. 

I wouldn't let them get to me. Not this time. 

Instead I fantasised about California. The weather was getting nicer in America with more sunny days sprinkled in. Lying on the beach with a good book or perhaps taking a nap on a fuzzy towel. Wind blowing through my hair as I visited the Strip. Seeing a good show play at the Whiskey and seeing a terrible one at the Rainbow. Laughing with friends later at that debacle they called a concert. Tripping over my thongs because I brought a pair that was too big. Booing my ice cream cone for dripping all over my chin and crop top. My dearest friend Maude and I taking photos of buildings and beaches and local fauna. 

Especially the local fauna. 

Night life surrounding us as we stumble down the street drunk on fun. My friend lighting up a joint as I settle happily for a chocolate lolly. Getting approached by two men and politely turning them down to which they accept. Seeing a poster outside a bar for some up and coming band opening for AC/DC.

I halt in my tracks. 

I tell my friend we have to see this show and she agrees. We waltz in and are greeted with an enormous applause. The opening act leaves the stage right as we make our way to the front row. There's no time to waste, we want to get right to the good part. After a few courteous words from our announcer, the lights shine on the band I've been wanting to see since practically forever.

And there he is....

Oh my....hopefully Maude can't see the blush on my cheeks....

He looks exactly the same as he did last summer. They all do and they sound even better. Whatever Pink Floyd song served as the summer soundtrack evaporates in a puff of "Rock and Roll Damnation". Everyone in the bar is having a great time. My headphones are sitting on my bed at home and I don't miss them.

I don't even need them.

I'm dancing and I don't notice the most beautiful man I've ever seen in my life glancing every now and then in my general direction. Low lighting makes it difficult to see. Maude nudges me and points up at the small stage. 

Aaaaaaand he's removing his shirt.

Some things never change.

I'm giggling in spite of myself when a loud knocking wakes me from my fantasy. My family's chattering fills the now empty space "Eclipse" left behind. Throwing my blanket off me in a huff and pulling myself together, I leave the sanctity of my bedroom and face the unholy music. 

Hoping my blush still isn't obvious on my cheeks.