Chapter VIII: The Great Gig in the Sky

Did I mention I hate flying?

Over the counter drugs coated my system while my leg bounced. Rain beat the window as we ascended through the clouds. I stared out the dark window and gripped my arm rest, taking long deep breaths. Some rows in front of me was a rather grumpy baby. Next to me was an older lady reading knitting magazines. I tried not to disturb her too much as I wrestled with my adrenaline. 

Oh, how the sight of city lights below me would do me good....

Alas, it had to rain....

Making do with a carpet of cloud, I leaned back in my seat and tried to daydream like I normally do. Coming home to a wagging tail....warm grass under my bare feet....Rosemary giggling as she toddles off to cause mischief....grilled chicken with potatoes and carrots....lying in bed with music soothing me to sleep....strong arms wrapped around me...my head lying on his chest...his fingers running through my hair, his lips pressed against my forehead....

A tear stained envelope abandoned at the bottom of the rubbish bin....frantically fetched and smoothed out to a less than perfect crinkled mess....the writing crooked and bent....

Pathetically holding a piece of my heart....

I could have thrown myself from the plane. He's moved on, get over it. Get your head out the fucking clouds.

Wait a minute...

Somehow flying at night was better than day. No hot sunlight burning through the window making me sicker than I already was. I didn't want to sleep yet knowing I could sleep when the sun came up. This was a nonstop flight to London. I'd probably end up hating myself for buying this kind of ticket but I wanted the flight over with. Take off and landing were the worst parts, the less of them the better. Curling up in my special blanket I turned to my side and stared out the window. 

Beautiful navy ink. Atmosphere. Defying gravity but still bowing to its power. 

Leg cramps. Jet lag. Motion sickness. 

Sometimes you gotta take the good with the bad. 

Wiping away a stray tear I huddled in my cave and closed my eyes. 

And despite my best efforts....

**********

Just as I expected.

Bright sunlight kissed me awake. Our plane caught up with the sun and we finally landed in the middle of a chilly spring afternoon. 

My muscles were screaming to get off the damn plane. 

I pulled my blanket off only to receive strange looks from fellow passengers. I could only imagine what my hair looked like. Placing my blanket in my bag I replaced it with a leather jacket. 

After skipping like a pond stone on the runway we were instructed to collect our things and carefully exit the plane. Our stewardess, however, was a bit tired and her tone made it sound more like, "Get your shit and get off". 

Don't have to tell me twice.

Practically limping off the plane I hauled my luggage off and staggered into the airport. Static voices on intercoms blended in with the rolling wheels and murmuring traffic. It's any wonder how anyone was supposed to be able to hear them. Ignoring my slow brain and racing heart I slid in and out of the crowds of people. They were all so...

British....

Neat.

A giant plane took off outside the window and another one landed taking its place. About halfway through the room I realised I had no clue where I was going. Probably should have checked the number for a cab before getting here. Leave it to me to fuck up. I walked through at least three clouds of cigarette smoke before I heard racing footsteps coming in my direction. 

"Hanny!!!"

I turned around and a human enveloped me in a strong hug picking me up off the floor. She stood back to inspect me and it was none other than my dearest Maude. Gorgeous from head to toe with sparkling hazel eyes and striking red hair. She looked like a movie star in her purple trousers and flowy white top. Her smile was pure New Zealand sunshine. Wanting to avoid blocking any oncoming travellers she pulled me aside and hoisted her bag onto her shoulder. 

"I've been looking for you! I got here at six this morning waiting to pick you up."

"I just got here," I explained gesturing towards the payphones. "I was about to call a cab."

"Nonsense, you and I are taking this city in style. I'll call a limo." She hustled toward the phones before I could stop her, her hoop earrings swinging. 

"Wait!" I scurried past all the people in a clumsy zig zag. "A limo's too expensive, all we need is a small cab."

She reached into her purse. "Don't tell me I brought all this cash for nothing," she said pulling out a huge stack of English banknotes. My mouth fell open. "Took me all morning to count it out and trade it in. Now what color limo do you prefer?"

There was almost no use in trying to persuade her otherwise. But I hated her to spend so much money. After all, we just got here. 

Big Ben wasn't going to buy itself. 

Maude placed a few coins into the payphone and dialed a number. A few passing men--and one woman--stared at her while she waited for the line to pick up. A giddy smile crossed her face. "Bretty!" I smiled too, remembering her famous musician boyfriend and knowing his connections to people with nice things. Including limos. "We're both here at the airport and we're exhausted,"she said wrapping an arm around me. "We were hoping you could swing by and pick us up." I yawned and scratched the back of my head as she tapped a painted nail against the number box. "Yes, I think black should be fine. We wouldn't want to stand out." I rolled my eyes and laughed. "Sure, we'll be waiting out front. Bye, my love." She hung up and grabbed my hand. "Come on, he'll be here soon." 

I have to give Maude credit for her sense of direction. She had us out the front doors in less than five minutes completely unscathed.

Well, almost.

Barely any time had passed and a glistening jet black limo crept slowly towards us. I shivered in my leather jacket while Maude took the spring breeze like a champ. It's funny. Despite being swarmed by strangers in a crowded airport a million kilometres away from home, I felt safe with my best friend. 

A couple people admired the limousine from afar while people close by tried to avoid it. Finally parking right in front of us, the driver got out. A tall, skinny man with black hair and cheekbones walked around the front and ran straight for Maude. "Oh, it's good to see you, my love!" he said picking her up and spinning her. I toed the footpath looking awfully out of place, especially when they started kissing. After breaking apart, Maude took Brett by the hand and brought him over. 

"Bretty, you remember Hannah, right?"

"Course, never forget my love's best friends," he said shaking my hand. I only smiled. Maude turned to face me. 

"I heard of a great vegetarian place just around the corner," she said. "Wanna have some lunch?"

My heart swelled with something foreign, akin to happiness. "I'd love to."