CHAPTER 42:SUSPICION.

I can't even breathe peacefully nowdays.

That were victor's thought as he sat in the conference room listening to his team.

'DSR seemed hell bent to buy that palace sir..... we already exceeded the limit given by you but it seemed like he made his motive to buy it.' That's what his team told him.

Victor closed his eyes and rubbed his forehead. He could already feel a headache coming on it's way.

"all I hear is excuses. Leave before I explode on you all." He said in a calm voice, his eyes still closed and his fingertips massaging his forehead.

The employees immediately left the room before their boss could explode on them.

"now what sir." Peal asked victor. The only person left in the conference room were her, victor, James and victor's assistant.

"now we carry on with other projects. It's not like if we sit here and cry, we will get the palace." He muttered.

"why are you getting so worked up vic? It's ok." James said, leaning forward and patting his brother's shoulder.

Because I wanted to gift that palace to serenity my little brother!

"because it was a golden chance to make our hold strong in India....." victor mumbled.

"we will find another way sir." Pearl smiled at him.

Victor simply shook his head and stood up. He buttoned his jacket and left the conference room. On his way to his cabin, he took out his phone and typed,

Can we meet?

*******

James was working in his cabin when the door knocked and Mr. Albert entered.

"good morning, James." Albert smiled at him.

James looked up from his file and gave Albert a surprised smile. "oh albert! What a present surprise. Come sit."

Albert sat on the chair and smiled and sat on the chair. "so, how was your vacation?"

"It was good." James smiled "why so sudden visit? Everything good?"

"Yeah, everything is good. I just wanted to ask about the documents. Actually the thing is, when your assistant gave me the document in the conference room, I asked her to remove some clauses and present me the final copy but I didn't get one. So I just wanted to inquire about it and discuss a few more things regarding the upcoming project with your elder brother." He explained.

"didn't get the revised copy? How is that possible? She did go to your house and got the documents signed." James frowned.

"No. She never visited my house...." Albert said.

There were few documents that needed Mr. Albert's signatures so I went to his house to get it signed.....while I was returning, I was attacked by a group of men....

"I think....there's a miscommunication. I will send you the documents soon." He gave Albert a tight smile.

"Ok buddy. See you soon." Albert stood up and left the cabin.

I remember clearly that pearl said she went to Albert's house to get the signatures the night she was attacked....... Why would she lie to me...?

******

New year was just around the corner. Kiara sat by the pool side staring at the picture of her and Darcy. It was last year's Christmas picture. They had red caps on their heads and were smiling widely at the camera.

A tear fell from her eyes as she stared at the photo. She still couldn't believe that the girl who she was friends with from childhood stabbed her at her back. How could she forget the years of friendship that she cherished a lot. The pain was so deep that she felt as if something was prickling in her heart. She couldn't breathe properly.

"Looking at old photos won't give you anything but pain.." a voice spoke from her side.

Kiara turned to her side to look at Lisa who was staring at the pool.

"I never thought my best friend would do this to me." Kiara mumbled as she wiped her tears.

"betrayal comes from the unexpected. You think that the person whom you trust the most will never betray you but often they are the ones to stab you at the back." Lisa said as she crossed her arms.

"you speak from experience." Kiara cocked her brow.

"I am."

Kiara was stumped for a moment before she patted on the sunbed beside hers "you can sit here."

"I am fine." Lisa said and didn't move from her spot.

"can I ask you something?" she asked. Lisa looked at her and nodded.

"that day at the hospital, you said that you saw dreams breaking." Lisa nodded again "...who were you talking about?"

There was a long pause. For a moment, Kiara thought that Lisa would not answer her. Her shoulders slumped thinking she overstepped her boundaries.

"my elder sister."

Kiara looked up instantly.

"two years elder...." Lisa clutched her pendant. "she had a lot of dreams. The first being qualifying for the best engineering college." Then she fell silent.

"what happened then?" Kiara urged.

"she cleared the entrance exam."

"then? What happened?"

"something happened because of which she never got to study in college."

"that's so sad..." Kiara said In a whisper.

"she was a very high spirited, extroverted and enthusiastic girl. You know, like those girls with whom you just click and boom you think you have known her for a very long time..." Lisa had a small smile on her face as she spoke fondly.

"was...?" Kiara questioned.

"was." Lisa confirmed.

" I am sorry."

"don't be."

"no I really am.... I shouldn't have brought up this topic." Kiara was ashamed to bring up the topic. It felt like she unconsciously brought up Lisa's painful memories.

"always remember little bird...... My elder sister was not the only one whose dream I saw shattering in front of me. But always remember, it's not the end." Saying this she disappeared into the shadows leaving Kiara in her own web of emotions.

********

Aiden looked at his watch and then at the entrance of the café infront of him. It was time to close the café.

Emily must be cleaning before she closes the café.....

Releasing a deep breath, he entered inside. Emily who had her back towards the door and was mopping the floor announced without turning back, "sorry! We are closed."

"angel." Aiden whispered.

Emily stiffened. She stood straight and clutched her mop in tight grip. She didn't turn.

Aiden exhaled a tired breath when he found her still angry with him. He took a few steps towards her but stopped when he felt her stiffening more. As if it was possible.

"it's our game tomorrow...." He waited for a few seconds as if waiting for her to turn around and look at him.

"you promised me that you will come and watch the game while wearing my jersey......i-I know after what I did that day, I don't even deserve your forgiveness. I hope you will come to game tomorrow." He kept a cloth bag on the table and continued "here's my jersey... now it's up to you. It also has your tution fees. Of all the days, of all the classes, of all the notes....thank you for everything Emily. I will always cherish this few months of friendship." Saying this he turned and left the café.

He sat inside his car and released a deep breath.

What happened to us?