Bible Lesson: Bitterness

By Dr Marilyn Bouniu

Outline:
Introduction:
Hebrews 12: 14-15

Illustration:
Ruth 1:20-21 - Naomi
Job 1:20-22 - Job
Genesis 50:20 - Joseph
Acts 8: 9-23 - Sorcerer

Explanation & Solution:
James 3: 13-18
Philippians 2: 3-4

Ephesians 4: 31-32
Ephesians 5: 1-2

Conclusion:
Colossians 2: 6-7

Scriptures & Notes:
Introduction:
Hebrews 12: 14-15

Hebrews 12: 14-15 NKJV
14 Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord: 15 looking carefully lest anyone fall short of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up cause trouble, and by this many become defiled;

Hebrews 12: 14-15 NLT
14 Work at living in peace with everyone, and work at living a holy life, for those who are not holy will not see the Lord. 15 Look after each other so that none of you fails to receive the grace of God. Watch out that no poisonous root of bitterness grows up to trouble you, corrupting many.

Illustration:
Ruth 1:20-21 - Naomi
Job 1:20-22 - Job
Genesis 50:20 - Joseph
Acts 8: 9-23 - Sorcerer

Illustration:
Ruth 1:20-21 - Naomi
Ruth 1:20-21 NKJV
20 But she said to them, "Do not call me [a]Naomi; call me [b]Mara, for the Almighty has dealt very bitterly with me. 21 I went out full, and the Lord has brought me home again empty. Why do you call me Naomi, since the Lord has testified against me, and [c]the Almighty has afflicted me?"

Ruth 1:20-21 NLT
20 "Don't call me Naomi," she responded. "Instead, call me Mara,[a] for the Almighty has made life very bitter for me. 21 I went away full, but the Lord has brought me home empty. Why call me Naomi when the Lord has caused me to suffer[b] and the Almighty has sent such tragedy upon me?"

Job 1:20-22 - Job
Job 1:20-22 NKJV
20 Then Job arose, tore his robe, and shaved his head; and he fell to the ground and worshiped. 21 And he said:

"Naked I came from my mother's womb,
And naked shall I return there.
The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away;
Blessed be the name of the Lord."

22 In all this Job did not sin nor charge God with wrong.

Job 1:20-22 NLT
20 Job stood up and tore his robe in grief. Then he shaved his head and fell to the ground to worship. 21 He said,

"I came naked from my mother's womb,
and I will be naked when I leave.
The Lord gave me what I had,
and the Lord has taken it away.
Praise the name of the Lord!"

22 In all of this, Job did not sin by blaming God.

Genesis 50:20 - Joseph
Genesis 50:20 NKJV
20 But as for you, you meant evil against me; but God meant it for good, in order to bring it about as it is this day, to save many people alive.

Genesis 50:20 NLT
20 You intended to harm me, but God intended it all for good. He brought me to this position so I could save the lives of many people.

Acts 8: 9-23 - Sorcerer

Acts 8: 9-23 NKJV
9 But there was a certain man called Simon, who previously practiced [a]sorcery in the city and astonished the [b]people of Samaria, claiming that he was someone great, 10 to whom they all gave heed, from the least to the greatest, saying, "This man is the great power of God." 11 And they heeded him because he had astonished them with his [c]sorceries for a long time. 12 But when they believed Philip as he preached the things concerning the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, both men and women were baptized. 13 Then Simon himself also believed; and when he was baptized he continued with Philip, and was amazed, seeing the miracles and signs which were done.

The Sorcerer's Sin
14 Now when the apostles who were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent Peter and John to them, 15 who, when they had come down, prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit. 16 For as yet He had fallen upon none of them. They had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then they laid hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.

18 And when Simon saw that through the laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Spirit was given, he offered them money, 19 saying, "Give me this power also, that anyone on whom I lay hands may receive the Holy Spirit."

20 But Peter said to him, "Your money perish with you, because you thought that the gift of God could be purchased with money! 21 You have neither part nor portion in this matter, for your heart is not right in the sight of God. 22 Repent therefore of this your wickedness, and pray God if perhaps the thought of your heart may be forgiven you. 23 For I see that you are poisoned by bitterness and bound by iniquity."

Explanation & Solution:
James 3: 13-18
Philippians 2: 3-4

Ephesians 4: 31-32
Ephesians 5: 1-2

James 3: 13-18
James 3: 13-18 NKJV
Heavenly Versus Demonic Wisdom
13 Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show by good conduct that his works are done in the meekness of wisdom. 14 But if you have bitter envy and [a]self-seeking in your hearts, do not boast and lie against the truth. 15 This wisdom does not descend from above, but is earthly, sensual, demonic. 16 For where envy and self-seeking exist, confusion and every evil thing are there. 17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy. 18 Now the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.

Footnotes
James 3:14 selfish ambition

James 3: 13-18 NLT
True Wisdom Comes from God
13 If you are wise and understand God's ways, prove it by living an honorable life, doing good works with the humility that comes from wisdom. 14 But if you are bitterly jealous and there is selfish ambition in your heart, don't cover up the truth with boasting and lying. 15 For jealousy and selfishness are not God's kind of wisdom. Such things are earthly, unspiritual, and demonic. 16 For wherever there is jealousy and selfish ambition, there you will find disorder and evil of every kind.

17 But the wisdom from above is first of all pure. It is also peace loving, gentle at all times, and willing to yield to others. It is full of mercy and the fruit of good deeds. It shows no favoritism and is always sincere. 18 And those who are peacemakers will plant seeds of peace and reap a harvest of righteousness.[a]

Footnotes
3:18 Or of good things, or of justice.

Philippians 2: 3-4
Philippians 2: 3-4 NKJV
3 Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. 4 Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.

Philippians 2: 3-4 NLT
3 Don't be selfish; don't try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. 4 Don't look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too.

Ephesians 4: 31-32
Ephesians 4: 31-32 NKJV
31 Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, [a]clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. 32 And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.

Footnotes
Ephesians 4:31 loud quarreling

Ephesians 4: 31-32 NLT
31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behavior. 32 Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you.

Ephesians 5: 1-2
Ephesians 5: 1-2 NKJV
Walk in Love
5 Therefore be imitators of God as dear children. 2 And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma.

Ephesians 5: 1-2 NLT
Living in the Light
5 Imitate God, therefore, in everything you do, because you are his dear children. 2 Live a life filled with love, following the example of Christ. He loved us[a] and offered himself as a sacrifice for us, a pleasing aroma to God.

Footnotes
5:2 Some manuscripts read loved you.

Conclusion:
Colossians 2: 6-7

Colossians 2: 6-7 NKJV
6 As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, 7 rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, as you have been taught, abounding [a]in it with thanksgiving.
Footnotes
Colossians 2:7 NU omits in it

Colossians 2: 6-7 NLT
6 And now, just as you accepted Christ Jesus as your Lord, you must continue to follow him. 7 Let your roots grow down into him, and let your lives be built on him. Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will overflow with thankfulness.