Chapter 72

"Please don't leave me..."

"Karl, I need to go."

"Then what about me?! Are you going to leave me? Just like that?! Catherine, you know how much I love you."

"But it's not enough!"

"...What?"

"It's not enough, Karl. Love is never enough in this world. You should know that."

"Catherine, I can't understand. Why—"

"Is love enough to feed us in the future? Is it enough to make this world move on its axis? Is love enough to make all things better? Is it the only thing we need?!"

Karl tries to open his mouth to speak but he doesn't know what to say.

"You can't say anything, right? It's because you know that I have a point."

"Catherine, I will—"

"Enough with your promises, Karl! I'm so tired of it." 

He looks at the woman in front of him. Karl wants to touch and hug her. He wants to tell Catherine that everything is gonna be alright. But he also knows that it is something that she didn't want right now.

"Karl, you know that I love you so much. You should know how much I truly care for you. But if we continue our relationship, we are just going to burn ourselves to exhaustion. I don't want that to happen."

"Catherine, you are being unfair! You are not giving me a chance to perform my best. And yet—"

"I already gave you all the chances, Karl. It was you who wasted it."

"I—"

"We should end this relationship as early as now. I have to go."

"If you turn your back on me, expect that I will no longer follow you. Catherine, you are not the only one who is reaching their limit."

"Karl..."

"If you leave now, expect that I will no longer follow and try to persuade you. Leave if you want. I don't care anymore."

"I..."

Pursing her lips, Catherine closes her eyes and takes a deep breath. After that, Catherine turns around and readies herself to leave. When she takes a step forward, she turns her head to look at her beloved one last time. Catherine didn't know if this will be the last chance she can have to see him.

"Karl, always remember that I love you. But this relationship will never work the way we want."

"That's because you are already giving up on us."

Before Catherine can speak a word, Karl moves forward without looking back at her.

"Goodbye, Catherine."

Catherine stays on her spot and watches Karl as he continues moving forward without looking back. She bites her lips to stop making any crying sounds. Fresh tears are now staining her beautiful face. Still, Catherine's decision did not waver at all.

"Goodbye, Karl. I hope that you will find your true happiness."

Whispering those words, Catherine wipes her tears using the back of her hand. This will be the end of their story. Taking a deep breath, she moves her feet and starts walking away.

...

...

...

"...And cut! Good take, everyone!"

Keith, who is playing the role of Karl, let out a sigh and looks at Rhianne who is sitting behind the camera and watching the scene they took just now. He can see the excitement in her eyes. Soon, Keith noticed Andrew is now standing beside him and offered a bottle of water. Keith quietly accepts the bottle and opens it.