‎♡‧₊˚thirty-three ♡‧₊

"There's something I want you to assign Maxime from your team to start investigating, Vicky

"There's something I want you to assign Maxime from your team to start investigating, Vicky. Claude Allemand," I exhale the smoke slowly as I push the pendrive in her direction. "For years he has been using his subsidiaries as a front to smuggle Fentanyl into the European market. Map out the flow of drugs and money trail. I need an exposé."

It's a typical noon in RNN's conference room. I joined the special editorial team for their catch-up to discuss ongoing and new investigation pieces. Now everyone has returned to their work, leaving Vicky, me, and Kiara alone.

"The French luxury retail tycoon's son?" Kiara gasps.

"Yep."

"What do we have in this?" Vicky asks, raising the pendrive.

"His reliable source has turned into a whistleblower. That pendrive contains all the digital documentation you need to get started. I want this bombshell revelation to be damning and unassailable that can push law enforcement to take the matter into their hands."

I have had this information since I started plotting Allemand's downfall but I didn't use it because it wasn't my shit. Now it is.

Claude is a vengeful man. I don't know what deal he will make with Areston to remain alive and return. But if he does manage to do it, I know he's a dangerous snake who wouldn't hesitate to retaliate in some manner. 

I want this exposé to control the public narrative, shatter his credibility beyond repair, and then have the law take care of the rest. I need to bring him out in front of the people as the criminal he is. Not the loving, charitable businessman he and his father mask themselves to be.

If Areston can go to lengths just for me, I have to go to lengths to ensure no one can harm the man I love.

"We are hitting a dead-end on the Stephen Biggs case, Juliette. It's a wild goose chase at this point," Kiara admits, sagging back in her chair.

Of course, we haven't. Areston is too sharp to let anyone find out about it.

"Stephen Biggs is an old story now. Let's put it in the backseat and revisit if and when we get some breakthrough, but let's not waste our time and energy behind it," I say, taking a deep puff of my black slims.

"That's what I was thinking, so I have received a new tip I am looking into," she presses the button of the remote in her hand that brings the digital screen in front of us to life. "The Cops in Marsaxlokk village of Malta are reopening an old investigation that was shut down in 2002 on account of zero evidence. Nikolai Christakis was reported to have sexually abused minors at his mansion there."

I almost choke on the smoke and start coughing. "I am sorry," I swallow. "Nikolai Christakis? Lev dad?"

"The same. The cops in Southwest Ranches also received similar reports. I looked into it. Numerous victims came forward, but federal agencies took over, and the government labeled it classified so no one could touch the case, apparently shutting the investigation down. It only suggests that some of their own were involved neck-deep into that shit with Nikolai. The case is now reopening in Southwest Ranches as well. This means they've gathered substantial evidence to revive the decade-old case in different places."