Percy: Chapter 13

"Well, he took that well." Apollo chirped, his hair still sizzling and smoking from the blast. I raised an eyebrow. The big guy had blasted Apollo clean off his golden throne when he broke the news to him, but, to his credit, he didn't blast ME, which I think is an improvement. 

     "Not bad? What do you mean not bad?" I asked incredulously. 

     "Well, the last time a mortal got so powerful they ascended, he caused the Great Flood."  Apollo clicked his fingers and I watched as his hair straightened out, the static that had been crackling through his blonde hair vanishing in an instant, going back to his perfectly styled and gelled mop. "Things are going to get very interesting for you little cousin. More than they already are." His sudden seriousness caught me off guard. He put his arms on my shoulders and stopped me from walking towards the elevator doors, spinning me around to face him. "Your body is going to go through a lot of changes, inside and out. You probably already noticed some of them, haven't you?" 

     I nodded. In truth, I HAD already noticed some changes. It started with the strength. I keep feeling like I'm getting stronger and stronger with every passing moment, like a tidal wave being held back inside myself, yearning for release. On top of that, I'd started noticing things, things I'd never noticed before. Small changes in peoples expressions, changes so small that they SHOULD be imperceivable. "Some of them I expected to happen, but there's one thing that I didn't realize would happen." 

     Apollo raised an eyebrow and I shrugged in response. "I've got some weird like sixth sense. I can feel it, in the back of my mind. A small humming that doesn't ever quiet." The sun god's eyebrows shot up in surprise and he took a small step back, muttering to himself.

     "Well, that was fast..." He started muttering under his breath, something about patrons and domains. 

     "Woah woah, Apollo. WHAT was fast?" I interjected before he could ramble on anymore. In response Apollo held up a hand, stopping me. He put a finger to his lips in sign of silence, closed his eyes, and lowered his chin, almost like he was praying. Then, the drone in the back of my head increased in volume, and I heard his voice in my mind. 

     "Prayer. Your energy has attached its self to some group, in the world." Half way through his sentence, he transitioned from speaking directly into my mind, praying to me, I realized, and speaking out loud. "If I were to guess, you're godly side took it upon itself to become the patron of some group. Again, merely a guess, but I'd say it was Camp Half-Blood. You have acted as their leader and protector for over a decade now. When you became an Immortal, your godly energy attached itself to that already existing bond, and strengthened it. The campers should be able to pray to you for aid, and strength. When you get stronger, you'll likely be able to grant them their prayers, but be careful, prayer is a dangerous thing. There's a reason we gods rarely answer prayers with direct answers." My mind rattled as Apollo explained everything to me. He continued talking but I was only half listening. My mind was still caught on one part of his explanation. 

     "My friends can pray to me?" Apollo stopped and must have seen the look in my eyes. The look that told him that this whole thing had only just now really set in with me. Immortality, being a god, all of it. His eyes softened, and his grip on my shoulders loosened as he wrapped me in a hug. 

     "It's a lot to take in. You should speak with Arty. She'll be able to help you come to grips with your powers as you grow stronger. You should also pay a visit to your father. The abilities that you come into are influenced by the godly blood and powers that already existed inside you. Your father and Triton will likely have a pretty good idea of what powers you'll come into." He pulled back and flashed his blinding smile at me. His smile was so wide and so bright, I couldn't help but smile back, which only caused him to smile even wider. 

     "You got this little cuz. If you need any help, just ask. I'll be here to help you as much as I can." With that, the sun god melted into a ray of sunshine, whisked away on the breeze. I sighed and looked around Olympus, taking in the grand designs and shimmering city. I walked to the edge of Olympus, to the garden of Dionysus, and gazed out at the sprawling New York skyline. My city. 

     I took a deep breath, and the sound of rustling leaves alerted me to a presence in the garden with me. I didn't turn around to look, I didn't need to. I recognized the smell of pine and sweet flowers that always accompanied my patron goddess, the goddess I was oath sworn to protect. 

     "Hello Artemis." I greeted softly, doing my best to keep the emotion out of my voice. I was still coming to grips with everything, but I didn't want her seeing me in a panicked state. She sat down on the bench next to me, looking out over the city of New York with me. She didn't say anything in response, so I turned to look at her. She was studying me. Her silver eyes like that of a predators, analyzing every single inch of me. I gazed back, letting her examine me. Finally, her eyes met mine and she nodded. 

     "Hello Perseus." I bit back a comment to just call me Percy, but she already knew that. after being her guardian for this long, I was able to tell she was just doing it to mess with me. "How are you?" 

     I shrugged, averting my gaze back to the city beneath us. "I'm dealing, I think." I replied. She nodded and opened her mouth to say something, but she faltered. Instead she closed her mouth and gazed out over the city with me. We stayed like that for about an hour, neither saying anything. It was peaceful. Calming.

     I spent that hour weighing the pros and cons of what had happened to me, and I figured it was more of a pro. Now, I should be strong enough to protect my friends. Hades, I might be able to win this war. I grit my teeth and stood up, forcing a look of determination to fill my eyes. Artemis stood with me. 

     "Come. I've got some training to do." Artemis's eyes matched my own look of determination. We had wasted enough time. Now is the time for war.