Percy: Chapter 1

The woods were silent. Halloween was here, and tonight was capture the flag, and that meant that Chiron had placed a deafness spell on the woods this year. I spun circles, looking for the flashes of orange shirts, blue and red horse hair plumed helmets, but saw nothing when suddenly something hard and sturdy slammed into my back.

     "Ugh-!" I grunted as I stumbled forward, spinning around only to find nothing. I glared, spinning circles still. 

     I was forced to fight Annabeth tonight, having made an alignment with the Ares cabin for better shower periods, and Annabeth had made it her personal goal to make my life Hades for it. Another blow struck me hard in the ribcage and I doubled over, wheezing. 

     After a brief moment I straightened up and sighed slowly, letting my racing mind calm and slow down, letting my powers slowly seep out of me. This was something Annabeth and I have been working on, using the water in the air to sense things we can't see. It wasn't perfect, and it's hard to explain what I was 'seeing' but the best way to describe it is as faint black outlines in a 10 foot radius of me. 

     Something flashed to my right and I stepped out of the way of the next blow, which seemed to catch her by surprise as she faltered next to me. Quick as a snake, my free hand lashed out towards where her head should be and I knocked her cap off her head. She shimmered into existence and looked panicked but quickly recovered, taking a stab at my chest with her dagger. 

     Thank the gods for my reflexes, or I'd be a perc-kebob right about now. Riptide flashed as I parried her blow, going on the offensive before she could recover. I slashed and she ducked, taking a swing at my legs as she did so, which is exactly what I wanted her to do. As she swiped at my thighs, I kicked her square in the chest with my combat boot, and she was sent sprawling into the creek. The deafening silence around me faded and I heard the sounds of cheering, and I knew one of the teams had won, but that didn't stop Annabeth. 

     She jumped to her feet quickly, trying to rush out of the river before I could get a hold on her, but she was already soaked through. She dove forward to strike at me and just before she could reach me, she froze mid air, held suspended by her dripping clothes. She squirmed and slashed at the air in front of her and gave an indignant groan. 

     "Percyyyy, cmon! Let me down so I can kick your smirk off your face!" she lashed again at my face again and her dagger came so close I saw a strand of hair that was originally attached to my head float to the ground. I didn't respond, both of us panting from our fight. We locked eyes and stayed that way for a moment as my control over her water soaked clothes slowly floated her closer to me. 

     Just before our lips were able to meet, she stopped cold, and a grin spread across my face, for under her chin, the cold celestial bronze tip of Riptide was now resting. "I win..." I muttered, her face beet red before I moved my sword and lowered her to the ground, spinning on my heels and walking away. 

     As it turns out, my team had lost. Annabeth kept me distracted while Malcom and the Stoll twins dispatched the rest of our guards and got out scot free, but it didn't bother anyone none. In the pavilion, the air was merry. People laughed and sang together, the Ares table causing the biggest roar of laughter. 

     It still baffled me how many campers we had gotten after the Second Giant War. The monsters have all but disappeared, and new campers show up every day it feels like. It's hard to believe that just 5 years ago, things had been so different than they are now. 

     "Percy!" A voice called, and I recognized the sound of Nico's voice instantly. He slid onto the bench next to me at the Poseidon table and nudged me. "Sooo, when are you doing it?" I clamped my hand over his mouth and looked over to make sure Annabeth wasn't looking.

     "SHHH! Are you insane?! She's right there!" I pulled my hand away and he snickered.

     "As if she hasn't guessed already, she's the daughter of the wisdom goddess. Now come on, show me the ring again!" 

     With a grumble I fished around in my pocket and pulled out the small grey velvet box. I looked over and made sure Annabeth was well distracted but Will apparently must have known what was happening and was leading her away to the Big House for something. I opened up the box and watched as Nico gaped. 

     The ring itself was fairly simple, it was a silver band with a sea green gemstone in the top. "A+P" was carved into the gem, and the ring gave a very slight glow. The ring itself was made of Moon Silver, what the Hunters of Artemis use to make their weapons with, and what makes up the goddesses own moon chariot. "Woah... Dude, you really went all out with this, huh?" Nico said in amazement. 

     "Well of course I went all out, I'm proposing to her, stupid!" The words left my mouth in a harsh, quiet whisper despite the rising blush in my cheeks. 

     "How in the world did you get Athena to agree to this again?" He asked, and I shivered. 

     "Wasn't easy. Took a while, too. Trying to stay present here while also doing her quests was really hard, only Chiron made it possible. And my dad teaching me how to do his vapor travel thing." We continued in hushed tones before Chiron finally cleared his throat and gave us a pointed look, signaling that it was time for Nico to go back to his own table as Annabeth was coming back, and I slipped the box back into my pocket. 

     Chiron stamped his hoof on the ground, the sound echoing loudly as everyones voices died down. "Well, its been a joyous Halloween night. As we all know, the Athena cabin now holds the laurels for capture the flag." As he said this, their table erupted into cheers, which died down only after Chiron stamped his hoof again. "Yes yes, were very proud of you. To all of our new campers, welcome. We are thankful to have you here. As to the old, I hold a toast. Its been 5 years since our victory over the giants. We still remember those who were lost along the way, and we celebrate those who survived." He stopped and raised his glass high, his voice bellowing "TO OLYMPUS!" 

     With him the roar of 150 demigods filled the night sky, and Annabeth and I locked eyes. We both gave a curt nod as she slipped on her Yankee's cap, and my form dissolved into mist. Within moments, we were walking along the beach, hand in hand. The moon was full, which is how I knew the gods were snooping on us, as the full moon should have waned 3 days ago. We walked in silence, hand in hand, for a few minutes before we finally reached our spot. 

     'Our Spot' was a rock outcropping that lay flat on the sand. On it a blanket had been strewn out, and a cooler containing some coke on ice sat by it. We both sat down, Annabeth waiting till I did to sit down in front of me and scoot back to be leaning into my chest. 

     We sat there in silence, just listening to the sounds of the demigods in the distance, and the waves lapping the shore and rock below us. It felt like 30 minutes or so had passed before I noticed Annabeth's breathing had slowed. She had fallen asleep in my arms. A smile grew on my face as I looked down at her, pulling the grey box out of my pocket. I looked at the ring inside, over Annabeth's shoulder. My hands were sitting in her lap, and I was lost in a trance. So much so, that I didn't notice she had awoken again till her hands covered mine as she stared at the box. 

     I felt her stiffen against me and suddenly I was incredibly nervous. Her left hand shakily left mine and slowly pulled the ring from the box on her lap. "I-Is this...?" she started, her voice wavering. 

     "An engagement ring? Yes." I stated, pulling her closer. Before I knew what was happening, she slipped the ring onto her right ring finger and turned, pinning me to the rock while hugging me tightly. It was at this moment that we both noticed it was eerily quiet, before we heard someone speak from behind us. 

     "Bout time." Will grumbled, and behind him stood the whole of the camp. We both flushed as the Aphrodite girls swarmed Annabeth, the Hermes cabin swarming me as we were both lead away. 

     Later that night, as we all settled in for bed, there was a soft knock at my cabin door. Before I could answer or call out, Annabeth cracked open the door just enough to slip in before she closed the door behind her. I raised an eyebrow  at her and we locked eyes. 

     "Were finally ready?" I asked, heat building in my chest. She didn't respond, the only sound in the room being the soft click of the lock being slid shut by her. Her lips were on mine in moments, my arms around her waist. We both had been waiting for this for a long time, and we were finally ready. The last thing I remember having control of, was slipping into bed with her, the covers slowly passing over our heads. 

     Finally. Together. As one.