Percy: Chapter 2

The nest few days flew by in a blur. Annabeth started sneaking out more and more to meet me in my cabin at night. We had our wedding 2 weeks later, in the pavilion. The first wedding Chiron says has ever been held here. Athena and Poseidon were there, standing awkwardly by each other, doing their best to pretend like the other didn't exist, but I swear at one point I saw Poseidon slip his hand into hers, but it must have been my imagination. 

     Time seemed to blur from there, up to Christmas.

     "Well, in today's festives, Ares has decided to pose a challenge for everyone. Today, on Olympus, he will be there waiting, and any are free to challenge, or watch." Murmurs spread through the crowd and the next thing I knew the whole camp was on Olympus, filing I to the arena.

     "Demigods! Welcome! Any of you come to lose?" Ares's voice bellowed. For an odd moment, no one met his challenge before Clarisse stepped forward.

     "I challenge." She smirked, and in minutes she was in her full battle armor, a spear held tightly in her grip.  Ares bellowed with laughter and raised his sword.

     "Well met, daughter." They stood, weapons raised, staring at each other before Ares made the first move.

     He dashed forward, his sword flashing towards Clarisse, but she was just as fast. Her spear met his blade as she pushed it to the side, grunting in effort and made a jab towards her father's chest but he jumped back.

     He circled her, like a lion stalking a wounded buffalo, taking another experimental slash at her just to have his hand bashed by the butt of her spear. If it hurt, he didn't show it. Just readjusting his grip on his sword before launching a full assault at Clarisse.

     For an agonizing moment, she held her ground, meeting every blow and countering with her own, but she was tiring out. Before long, she was on one knee, Ares holding his sword to her neck.

     She was teleported back to the stands, her cabin mates all clapping her on the back. A few more people challenged but no one stood as long as Clarisse. Finally, he challenged someone himself.

     "Percy Jackson! Get down here and fight, or are you scared you'll lose this time without your precious water to save you?" He taunted into the stands. The demigods all went quiet, and looking around I knew he had won. I sighed and jumped the railing to the arena, landing on the ground in front of him.

     He smirked at me as I drew Riptide. "Lord Ares, are you sure you wish you be humiliated in front of all these adoring fans?" I taunted back, grinning at him.

     He grit his teeth and charged at me. There was no testing to get a feel for each others style, he launched a full brutal assault. His sword was bigger but he swung it around with deadly precision. I remembered our first fight when I was 12, and what happened when I tried to get under his guard. My sternum still ached from that kick. I wonder if he'd do it again?

     A plan started forming in my head and after a short moment, the arena echoing with the clashing and ringing of bronze on bronze, I made my move.

     I ducked under one strike and launched myself under his guard and sure enough, he moved to kick me.

     As his foot left the ground, I dropped Riptide and grabbed his leg in both my hands. A look of surprise crossed his face before I headbutt him square in the nose. Gold ichor exploded from where I hit and he smashed back onto his butt.

     I grabbed Riptide but he was already back on his feet, trying to assault me again, but his vision was blurred from tears. After a misplaced swing, I racked the flat of my blade against his fingertips and he roared in pain, his sword clattering to the ground. I sliced at his thighs and he dropped to his knees, my sword point at his throat.

     We were both breathing heavily, sweat pouring down both of our faces. I didn't realize the arena had gone silent during the fight, and I looked around to all the gaping faces surrounding us before they broke into thundering cheers.

     I dropped my blade and put it in my pocket in pen form, offering Ares my hand. He took it and I helped him to his feet. I was expecting to get chewed out for him to be angry but he boomed in laughter.

     "Well fought Jackson, you will do nicely." He clapped me on the back and before I could question him, he was gone.

     I made my way back into the stands where Nico and Annabeth were waiting, both hugging me and exclaiming "What in Tartarus was that?!" Before we could leave, Hermes appeared by us.

     Hermes smiled and cleared his throat before speaking. "Well, congratulations. While I'd love to chat, I have a message, from Zeus." He pointed at the 3 of us. "You three need to go to the throne room." And with that, he was gone.

     "Really wish they would stop and answer some questions for once." I grumbled.